Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#397360 10/28/17 09:36 PM
PhilG Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I know there is no such thing as a dumb question but I am proof that there are dumb people asking them. I have to go get a 27 Landau and I think the tires are flat but I have to get them out of the dirt before I will know for sure. They are stock tires on steel rims so I am guessing they have inner tubes. Will a modern tire chuck fit the valve stem? I am hoping they will hold enough air to roll the car about 100' to the trailer.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes, a standard air chuck will fit the inner tube stem.

A word of caution, do not put much pressure in those tires.

I attempted to pump up the tires of my '28 Canopy Express in order to get it to the trailer when I bought it. It was in a garage with the wheels on car dollies. All were flat. I do not know how many years had gone by since the tires were last inflated.

I put 25 pounds in the tires and one of them popped right away. It burst where the inner tube had been folded over. The loud bang in the garage scared the **** out of us!

The other three tires held air long enough to get the truck into the trailer, but all were flat when we arrived at my house 90 miles away.

Good luck! Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

PhilG Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the info. I hope to get the car jacked up next week so I can see what the tires look like.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
the tire valve is one thing that has not changed from a 1927 car to a 2017 car. It is actually amazing that the Schrader valve is essentially unchanged for 100 years.

PhilG Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Even after sitting since the early 70s and being buried about 6"s in the ground all four tires held air. Two are still up and the other two are down but not flat. It took me and three friends less than an hour to get the car from being buried to loaded on the trailer and headed home.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Major woohoo!!

Great way to start a project. beermugs

Enjoy the journey! Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.