Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jthoman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
We just purchased this car at a public sale yesterday. We were told it is original, it's in great shape and runs great. We cannot figure out the model though. I came across this forum while trying to figure it out so I don't think I can post a picture just yet. It has two doors, spare tire is on the back, rear seat is huge and would fit three adults comfortably. Are there things to look for to know if it is original condition?

Jaci and Jason Thoman
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi,
Congrats on your 'new' Chevy. You have come to the right place and you will find all the answers to your questions.
Until such time as you can post a photo, I suggest Google 32 Chevy and goto images where you will find photos of various body shapes. If you cant find one like yours, go back to 31, 30, etc or forward a year or two. A lot could have happend to the documentation in 85 years.

Regards,
Chris
Cape Town
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I'd first check to see if there's a cowl tag on the firewall. That alone will provide a wealth of information. Also castings on the block, head, and tranny will help establish originality. Together with numbers taken from the cowl , you could have a numbers matching car. A nice thing to have in this hobby.
There also should be an I D plate on the inside pass side sill that provides body serial number. Kind of an early VIN number.

This site has expert tech advisors and long time owners that can tell you exactly what's original and what each number means. I've only had my 4 dr '32 Chevy sedan for 2 + years so a still newbie myself. Good luck !

If it ain't brokeā€¦..fix it 'til it is.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hi there and welcome to Chevy Chatter!

From your description, it sounds like you have a 1932 Chevrolet Coach. Check the Job Number on the cowl tag that is riveted to the firewall and it should read "32551" if you have a Coach.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
jthoman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you so much. It does have the plate on the firewall, but I wasn't sure where to start with the info.

Jaci and Jason Thoman
jthoman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
That's what I have done and there are so many different options and different names I am coming up with. I Found a 2 door sedan (how it was advertised at the sale), a confederate or a passenger, a 2 door coupe five seater and several others. I'm not sure what is accurate or if some names are just what people called them. I found an exact match for ours on a sales flyer I found online, but it just lists all the models, not labeled on the specific picture.

Jaci and Jason Thoman
jthoman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
BINGO! That's the first number. Body No is T30732, Trim No is 16 and Paint No is 89.

Jaci and Jason Thoman
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Great! It looks like you have a 1932 Chevrolet Coach, which is the proper terminology. All 1932 models were called "Confederate".

According to your Body Number your coach was made in Tarrytown, New York and it was the 30,732nd coach model made in that factory in 1932.

Trim Number 16 is gray mohair with a pattern.

Paint Number indicates that your car was originally painted Black with Ocean Green or Black wire wheels.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

jthoman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The interior is more of a yellow color of mohair, is it possible for the gray to yellow with age? The car is black with green wheels. Thank you so much for your help!!

Jaci and Jason Thoman
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A very nice looking car... The pictures are posted on the VCCA Facebook page. Welcome aboard! Great to see you've also joined the VCCA as members. I'll flag this to the Admin so that you get full forum access as well!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
jthoman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks! I'm learning a lot. I just happened to have a guy who does antique restorations stop in my business today and I took the half mile to my house to see the car. He was amazed at the shape it is in and gave me a lot more information. It's so neat to learn some of the history of the car. It doesn't look like there is a local chapter of the VCCA to me, I'm wondering if I should also join the AACA. I know the have a museum and big shows in Hershey which is about an hour from me.

Jaci and Jason Thoman
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by jthoman
The interior is more of a yellow color of mohair, is it possible for the gray to yellow with age? The car is black with green wheels. Thank you so much for your help!!

Yes, I have seen the mohair fade to kind of a 'yellowish tan' color.

Ed
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hope you don't mind, here's your picture from FB.

[Linked Image from s19.postimg.org]

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Great looking '32!!!!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
iagree

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
another possibility for the current mohair tint: decades of infused nicotine. jim ('30 coupe)

jf lewis
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I got my '32 sedan this summer after it sat in a local barn for 62 years and it to is original and it to had the gray interior except it looked more like dirty beige than gray. The gray color was confirmed when I looked at areas of the interior that were covered like the sides of the rear seat cushion, under the door garnish molding and areas under the door handles. Fred

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
My 1930 original seat is a nice goldish color,or so I thought till I look at all the areas that are untouched by sun and wear. Actually was a light blue/gray color.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
It is common for mohair upholstery to fade to a light tan, yellowish tan or similar color. The green in my original '28 interior appeared tan. Protected places were the original dark green when interior was taken out.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
iagree two cars I've put interiors in both looked tan but were kind of a blueish green where the material was protected from light.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.