Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#395031 09/13/17 06:22 PM
DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I am being given this car, and someone stole the cigar lighter that was in it.
From a POs show board, the car had a "catalin" cigar lighter.
Was this a GM option?
if so, I have no idea what this lighter is supposed to look like.

Where do i find one? Attached are links to two pics, I think you will have to copy and paste to view the pics, one of the car as it sits on its flat tires, the other of the dash. I will be airing them up and hauling the car home in a couple weeks to get it operational. Drain gas, add new gas, check fuel pump diaphragm, new battery, etc.

The second pic shows the dash with the lighter socket. Is that socket a GM socket? it is stock?

https://imgur.com/8AhETEr

https://imgur.com/cojyUBQ

Thanks,
Doug

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I could not get either link to work. Normally, the extra knob in the lower right hole is removed and the lighter is mounted in that hole. The actual lighter is rather large and fits the hole that is exposed.
It is possible for all the knobs on the dash to match in color.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
If you copy the link, which the board breaks, after imgur add a "." then spell C O M by adding the o between C and M.

If the car (or any car) didn't come with a lighter, what would the knob in that position hole be for?

Thanks,
Doug

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Both links worked for me by typing ".com" after "imgur".

Great looking roadster and you can't beat the price!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Accessory. Mounted with a screw on the back side.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by DMelton
I am being given this car,

Thanks,
Doug

You are a very lucky man. Very nice car!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I think if yon were to find a 1933 accessory catalogue you would find theres a lighter that fits into a hole owner made in the dash.

Plus there is also another for clipping onto the dash lower edge.

Both use the same Caitlin honey colour lighter.

A member here named wes has one I think

mike hood

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
How lucky are you! Great looking car

Brian
DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
OK. Bringing it home Oct 11 or 12th. I got the tires filled up a few days ago.

I ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit as after sitting 8 years, I suspect its integrity. Drain gas, rebuild FP, put in new battery, new motor oil, a bit of oil in each cylinder and crank it over and check for carb fuel leaks.

Question: So i don't break anything, how does one access the compartment under the seat? Does the bottom of the seat lift up from the rear, or the front? is there some latch that needs to be operated? Does the seat back fold forward/down at all?

Thanks,
Doug
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Doug you have a beautiful 33 Chevy Roadster! I own a 1934 Chevrolet Standard DC Roadster with a Holden built body! Most likely your seat just pulls out from the front of the seat frame as mine plus your 6 volt battery will be under the seat floor on the passenger side. You can store some tools, battery cables under you seat plus you might also have the Chevrolet VIN # on an ID Plate nailed to the wooden floor on the passenger side! As far as the back seat there is no need fold it down as mine is fixed. Your best bet would be hand crank over the engine first after you let the oil or even better Mystery oil sit in each cylinders for a couple of days! Just a tip on the carburetor Chevy has it mounted over the exhaust manifold so be careful you do not have a leak or stuck float in that case always be sure you have your fire extinguisher nearby! I like your Chevy luggage rack! If you come across an extra one please feel free to let me know!
Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard DC Sport Roadster for sale
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan rolling frame under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just grab the seat bottom and pull it straight forward, then it lifts out?

I found the Chevy body # ID plate on the front of the wood seat pedestal on the passenger side.

My project on Tuesday is to try and find the Oregon issue VIN tag, which Is not in the usual locations (cowl, firewall, door jamb). The title has both the license plate # and a VIN tag #, so i would assume there is one.

I hope it is either under the floorboard on the frame, or under the seat, someplace. I really don't want the hassle of getting an AZ issued VIN if I can't find the Oregon one.

I suspect the Oregon owner didn't want ANYTHING to detract from the original look of the car, so the tag VIN is tucked away, somewhere.

Thanks,
Doug

Originally Posted by roara
Most likely your seat just pulls out from the front of the seat frame as mine plus your 6 volt battery will be under the seat floor on the passenger side.

Last edited by DMelton; 09/30/17 02:17 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Doug yes as the seat bottom just lifts out of the box channel that it sits in! As far as the VIN ID Plate it is not a big deal to replace. When Chevy built these Roadsters in the 30’s with wood floors sometimes they had the VIN # tied into the license and registration with no ID VIN # Plate mounted on the floor, and some had it nailed to the wooden floor with over time the floor rotted out and the VIN Plate was lost. You can go the Filling Station and order a new 1933 CAR NUMBER ID PLATE "STANDARD" Passenger Cars or “MASTER” and then have a local etching Co stamp on your Title VIN # then nail it to the passenger side wood floor under the seat.
Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard DC Sport Roadster for sale
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan rolling frame under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

Last edited by roara; 09/30/17 03:37 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Your 1933 Chevrolet is a roadster model series CA for master.

That should be in the serial number of the VIN tag as the 2nd and 3rd letters in the number series. That tag should be nailed or screwed to the seat riser wood frame on the passenger side, or it could be on the floor. They have been found in both places.

Its a very simple tag that is photo etched type and easily discolored, but the letters numbers are stamped in. The first number is where the car was made in which factory.

NOTE....the main body was not made by FISHER, roadsters and phaetons were supplied to the Chevrolet production line by an outside supplier. I believe that supplier to be CAMPBELL-HERCULES . The roadster only came as a 4 passenger IE rumble seat.

ROARA...........that luggage rack is correct for a 1933 Chevrolet master series CA.
Your 1934 Chevrolet STANDARD SERIES DC roadster uses a different luggage rack , with the USA one different than the Canadian one.

I know a guy in Knoxville TN area who has one of each, no idea if one or both for sale or not. ??????

A 33 roadster that nice with L & R tail lights, horns, radio, cigar lighter, rad ornament, dual side mounts, for FREE.........amazing.

mike lynch hood

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The rub on the VIN comes from many states do not or will not recognize a body number on a piece of metal nailed or screwed to a piece of wood in the car, thus, some states assign their own VIN number. In this case, the Oregon assigned VIN on the title is OR34xxxx.

So, I need to find THAT tag, that Oregon affixed to the car...someplace. If I can't find it, AZ will assign their VIN, and affix a tag, with a VIN of AZxxxxx...

Doug

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, i was fortunate. But "free" does have a price...I had to buy another 4 post lift to make room for the car...

The lady that gave it to me knew I had several other collector cars and would take care of this one, and not just "flip" it for money.

I didn't realize at the time that this was a fairly rare car, (I thought it was just another Chevy Coupe when it was first offered), but they didn't make very many roadsters, and I doubt many still survive.

Doug

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Actually the 33 roadster shows up more for sale on line than the cabriolet.

USA production figures
roadster-----------------2867
cabriolet----------------4276
phaeton------------------ 543

ya having to buy another lift at $4---5000 in order to be able to park it is a real financial hardship , considering you got a $35---$50G roadster for free , based on 2016-17 falling prices.

I would love to be burdened in that way.

mike hood

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Maybe part of the VIN mystery solved.

I still need to see if there is an Oregon issued tag on the car, but I see the VIN listed on the title of OR3952xxx falls in the engine SN range of 3367317- 3964077.

I really hope the motor block number is 3952xxx. I will find out Tuesday when i am back down there again.

Doug

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
the stock Chevrolet tag should read 2CA03XXXXX

which would break down as
2 = Tarrytown NY manufacturing assembly plant
CA = 1933 master series
03 = march production 1 = jan, 2 = feb , 3 = march ect ect
XXXXX = serial number down the line.

The "2" can change to one of the other manufacturing plants in operation in 1933 and also the month of production.

Its possible the original person who restored the car took the floor or seat riser metal plate off and misplaced it.

mike hood

DMelton Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The plate on the wood seat pedestal is there, but it is a moot point as what matters is what is on the Oregon title, and what is on the Oregon title is OR 3952xxx.

Many states, including california, will not recognize a tag that is nailed or screwed on a wood part, so they either use a motor number, or make up their own VIN number and affix their state VIN tag to the vehicle..

Doug

Originally Posted by mike_lynch
the stock Chevrolet tag should read 2CA03XXXXX

which would break down as
2 = Tarrytown NY manufacturing assembly plant
CA = 1933 master series
03 = march production 1 = jan, 2 = feb , 3 = march ect ect
XXXXX = serial number down the line.

The "2" can change to one of the other manufacturing plants in operation in 1933 and also the month of production.

Its possible the original person who restored the car took the floor or seat riser metal plate off and misplaced it.

mike hood

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Here in Aus they stamped a number into the chassis rail for identification but I have read here on chatter that most of the US used the engine number. This would provide an issue when someone changed engines without changing DMV records.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree with Roara you have won a lottery (almost anyway), it looks like a nice older restoration or a well card for original. Apart from a set of tires it doesnt look to need much.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
when I purchased my 35 Chevrolet standard series phaeton last year, I received the title which used the 2EC03XXXXX listed as the SERIAL NUMBER.

Title also listed the engine number

My copy of the original 1956 STATE OF NEW JERSEY " CERTIFICATE OF OWNERSHIP of a MOTOR VEHICLE " for my vehicle.

So the state of New Jersey knows what its doing re titles of ownership. I was able to have my title/ownership from my USA purchase , accepted by the Ontario Canada D. O. T. without any problems . Why these other areas states cannot understand how to title a car properly is beyond me.

mike hood

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.