Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#392993 07/30/17 09:36 PM
Hawkeye Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I am getting close to re-installing all the glass back into my 1950 Bel Air hardtop. I would like to hear from someone who actually went through this process. For example, when installing the door glass and vent window assembly, which should be installed first? For the quarter glass, the Fisher Body manual gives some good information - BUT are there any tips from your actual installation that you would like to share? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Hawkeye,

For my 41 I installed my front window first then the rear. My process was documented in previous posts. I did this before my dash, seats, and doors were installed to avoid any damage to these areas during the installation process, and for ease of access to them. Next I did the rear quarter panel windows, then I installed the doors and did them. For the doors I did the vents first after installing sound deadener.

I have several mini DV videos of my work which document my process. They are all backed up on DVDs but not edited for sequence so they jump around according to my interest at the time (so I work on a window for awhile then install stainless etc.). I don't have a simple way to duplicate my DVDs so making you up a set is time consuming, but maybe I could figure something out using my computer's DVD player/recorder and my stand alone DVD recorder. My camera records on a mini DV Tape. I may have 4 or 5 DV tapes that I could make into a couple of DVDs for you. PM me with your needs. Do realize that there could be major differences with my 41 channels, sweeps, garnish, regulators, vents, etc., but they also could be the same.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hawk,
I don't think it matters whether you install the vent window or door glass first as they sit in different tracks. I did both in my 51 and was quite easy. Just take your time and don't force anything. Make sure you have all your new felts, gaskets, etc. before you start. My stationary quarter glass was not too bad, and I used my wife as a second set of hands. Once I got the glass in the gasket and installed from inside the car,I had her push on the glass while I went around the gasket and pulled the lip over the garnish edge to seat the glass on the outside of the car.
The Fisher Body manual has instructions and photos. Just take your time and don't start work if you're tired. Manual avail online.

Good luck.

Last edited by styleline51; 08/22/17 02:40 PM.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
It's been a long time since I had my door apart but I believe the front window glass rides in the channel of the vent window frame so I would install that first but leave it in loosely. After the door window is installed then you can adjust both.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have always put the vent window in first, then the door glass, and lastly the rear track that guides the rear of the door glass. Look up the Old Car Manual Project on line. The web site for it is http://www.oldirononline.com. The site index lists several service manuals one of which is specifically for 1951 Belair Hardtops and Convertibles, see (Volume 10, Number 15) I believe the information contained may be helpful. There is also good information in the service bulletins for adjacent years as well as in the Fisher Body Manual listed in the index. These bulletins have very detailed instructions for adjustments. Mike

Hawkeye Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thanks to all who gave there advise. One of my doors will be back tomorrow. Both doors had some issues that the body man is correcting. Mike, thanks for the old chevy manuals suggestion. I've had it on my desktop for some time now and refer to it often. I just never thought to look at 1951 information. I will be referring to it for the window install. Thanks again to everyone.

Hawkeye Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I am ready to install the side glass and vent windows in the door. Should I install the glass first OR the door handle/lock assembly first? Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.