Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
hey guys ,,
i was facing problems with shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and i thought it needs adjustment for the shifter and i bought the shop manual and follow the instructions and everything goes as the book guide me,, with no luck ,, now i opened the transmission and i found the shown gear with small damages ,, i think this is the problem ,,

please advice and guide me how can i find these parts

[img:left]https://drive.google.com/a/qatarcarguy.com/file/d/0Bw7CiXUonTjxNzZjVkZTN0J1M00/view?usp=sharing[/img]

[img:left]https://drive.google.com/a/qatarcarguy.com/file/d/0Bw7CiXUonTjxU09RX2dIOXlhY2M/view?usp=sharing[/img]

[img:left]https://drive.google.com/a/qatarcarguy.com/file/d/0Bw7CiXUonTjxU09RX2dIOXlhY2M/view?usp=sharing[/img]

thanx

Qatar Car Guys
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I can not open your pictures but if your problem was gear grinding when going drom 2nd to 3rd.....90% of the time it is worn syncronizers. This was common on models with vacuum shift because the vacuum assist forced the gear change causing the syncro to wear.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

Qatar Car Guys
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Last picture.
The big gear that slides back and forth is the 1st and reverse gear. The inner drum is the sncronizer drum that usually causes the problem The things on the ends (syncro rings) and brass rings in the drum are the common problem as they are the parts that slow down the spinning gears when shifting so the gears do not clash.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
sound is good so do you thing if i replace them the gears will not clash?

and where can i find these parts do you have any information ,, i tried to search on ebay but i don't know what is the transmission name or code !! i just write "1948 chevy 3 speed transmission"

Qatar Car Guys
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
What you want is a transmission syncronizing drum, part # 605020 and fits 1940-1952 Chevrolets.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Guys,

It is almost impossible to find parts to rebuild transmissions. Ebay has a rebuilt transmission for sale for $1100 ebay transmission

Sometimes you will find gears available on ebay like the one shown in your picture that slides on the clutch. The clutch (gear) is what the guy with the dirty hand is holding. Inside the clutch is the synchronizers that Gene describes. The gear that the guy with the clean finger is pointing to is the 1st, 2nd, reverse sliding gear and does look worn.

It maybe still possible to get from the filling Station Synchronizer rings. They are still listed in their online catalog. To install them is another matter since they will have to be glued in place and I do not know how well the glue will hold. Originally, the ring was pressed in place. Hopefully, others will comment on how they installed theirs.

We have had discussion on rebuilding 3 speed transmissions so you should search our index of past posts to read up on what is posted. Do a SEARCH using the term +transmission and for the DISPLAY NAME type Mike Buller.

You will probably find other worn parts like the yokes that are attached to the transmission cover.

If you send me your email address I will send you the pictures that use to accompany my posts.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The listing also notes 2 sold and 10 available. I have found that they are often available on Craig's List for short money or free from hot rod projects. Probably easier to find a complete unit than parts.

Steve D
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
thank you for your reply ,,
this is my email : mohd@qatarcarguy.com

Qatar Car Guys

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.