Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can someone tell me how the headliner materiel attaches to the body around the rear quarter windows and rear windshield under the garnish moldings? I see staples in the metal jambs around the glass but nothing else. Was there some form of tack strip stapled into the body metal? what does everyone use today to hold the headliner cloth in?

Thanks,
Mike

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Today, the headliner is attached onto a plastic tack strip about 1/8th of an inch thick. The strips used around the windows are help in place by rivets. While the job is not real difficult it does require a lot of patience and the ability to work in a lot of uncomfortable positions.

I spaced the rivets about every 4 inches, and used a clamp, where possible, to help hold the tack strip in place. My learning curve is SLOW so it did take a little experimenting to develop an efficient method for drilling the holes so the tack strip didn't have any bulges.

I replaced all my tack strip, even though I could have had my upholster do it. The job is time consuming and I wanted to save some money, and liked the challenge of figuring out how to do it. I probably have over 8 hours of work in removing the old tack strip and installing the new.

Good luck, Mike

[Linked Image from i1321.photobucket.com]

Mike 41 Chevy
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Mike for the explanation and the pictures.. with a tack strip of only 1/8" thick what tack are you using? The tack would hold some headliner material in addition to the 1/8" tack strip thickness but that sounds like a very small tack?

Mike

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
If you scroll up to my answer to this post you will see that Photobucket has blocked the images I posted. Likewise, it has blocked all the images of my posts since 2012. I have yet to decide what to do, but have sent them over 6 emails asking for them to contact me. I have only received robot responses.

I have only used Photobucket for hosting my pictures to our chat site (1096 pictures using .4 GB of space). This is the email I sent:

I am very disillusioned by Photobucket’s choice to no longer host third party pictures. I use pictures to better explain and understand repair questions. I am a visual learner. I have tried to initiate contact with Photobucket but so far have gotten nothing but a robot response requesting me to annually pay $400 for a one-year license. Here is what I have written:

I have used my Photobucket account for several years for only 3rd party hosting. I post pictures to the VCCA chat site. The site provides information to Chevy car hobbyists and no one benefits financially from my posted pictures. In a year, I post about 100 pictures that are used to explain repair processes used in restoration of historic vehicles. Because of the nature of many of the topics discussed the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" is true. Especially, for people like me who are visual learners. Please consider other solutions to 3rd party hosting besides a $400 dollar a year fee. Why not grandfather in previous posted pictures, or have a onetime fee for each posted picture. Because of the historic importance of the pictures I post, I would gladly pay $1.00 for each of my 3rd party postings.
Please let me know when you will be erasing my posted pictures from the VCCA web site.

Thanks, Mike Buller
989-832-7634
P.S. Why did you not let me and fellow VCCA posters know several years ago that you did not want us to post photos to the VCCA website? If you would have, we could have made other arrangements. Why did you not email us with a deadline when you intended to impose this change?

Follow up email to Robot response:

Please personally respond to my questions. A generic robot response is not appreciated and belittles the professional standards which I assume Photobucket should wish to convey.

Thanks, Mike

P.S. I am interested in the options others use to post pictures.
I do not want to pay $400 for an annual subscription

Mike 41 Chevy
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Mike,
Dropbox will give you 2GB upfront per email address you use to register. If you refer other people you can grow your account. My account is at 6GB thrum referrals works great and for more storage buy Dropbox business.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (ruscar, beachbum, AFMsteve, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,063
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.