Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Peterw Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi
My 1930 wooden steering wheel has almost passed the point of no return. An expert wheel wright says that it has been patched up too many times and I am getting him to make a new one.
The big question is what was the wood used?
I know the USA wheels were painted black, but this is an Argentinian assembled car and has no trace of black paint

PeterW
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
peter, my '30 is typical; bare wood. black steering wheels started in '31. don't know what wood, though. pax, jim

jf lewis
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
My 35 Chevrolet roadster RHD assembled in Argentina Buenos Aries plant , used Brazilian walnut for many wood body parts.

I took one of the parts , after I sanded it , over to the lumber yard that carried exotic woods. The old guy on the counter put his nose to it and said " BRAZILIAN WALNUT " .

A very dark brown and when sanded with belt sander came out a dark maroonish red/brown .

I think they did a CKD = complete knock down and sent plans jigs to assemble the wooden body parts. So the assumption is next they used a local hardwood in plentiful supply....walnut.

I don't know this for sure , just using deductive reasoning.

mike hood

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I used ash wood I don't know if that's correct
But that's what I used I my 30

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
black steering wheels started in '31

1931 was not the first year for a black steering wheel. The 1929 and 1930 wood steering wheels were painted black at the factory.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
And with the exception of 1928, the steering wheels were wood painted black in 1927, and 1926, and 1925, and 1924.........

Chevy Guru
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The Dog is right, 1929 - '30 steering wheels were Maple painted black. Any closed grained hard wood would be suitable when the original finish is used.
Don, in the book "75 years of Chevrolet" page 51, makes reference to the new polished and notched Walnut steering wheel for 1925. I believe they were painted black before then...

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Just like several more errors in that book is the statement that 1925 had a 'natural' finish, not so, unless you call black natural.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Peterw Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks everyone for all the replies. It looks as if I will be using either Hickory or Oak.

PeterW
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yep, if you are working on a 4 cylinder, throw away George Dammann's "75 Years" and "60 Years." There is more that is wrong than right in there, unfortunately, on the early cars.

You have to remember, these cars are 90 and 100 years old now. If they have been lucky enough to survive, they have been "worked on" by generations of people. Many or even most people think that sanding down the pretty wooden steering wheel and varnishing it makes it look nice. And it does. So someone may very well have long since sanded all remnants of black paint off and applied vanish in the 1930's when the paint started to wear off - and again after the War, again in the '60's, and so on.

They did the same thing to the factory black painted wheels, too.

You see, in the Teens and Twenties, wood was perceived to be a cheap and common material. By painting it uniformly black, it gave it more "class" - made it look "machine made," thus more desirable.

That same logic in the late 1930's and early 40's made PLASTIC highly desirable. It was a new material, high tech - it could be made into all kinds of exotic shapes and various colors. So it was cool and you WANTED to have neat fashionable plastic radio knobs (for example) instead of common chrome plated metal. Today, of course, we think exactly the opposite.

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Peterw
Thanks everyone for all the replies. It looks as if I will be using either Hickory or Oak.

QUESTION, WHY WOULD YOU USE HICKORY OR OAK, ARE THOSE SPECIES NATIVE TO ARGINTINA / BRAZIL ? . If THE STEERING WHEEL WAS MADE THERE IT WOULD BE A NATIVE WOOD.

MIKE hood

Peterw Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I guess the correct wood might well be Brazilian walnut or something, but from memory Argentina does not have many forests so if it was Brazilian it would be imported anyway.
As someone said above, any close grained hardwood. At the moment the guy who will do the wheel has Hickory and Oak in stock, but I will have a talk with him following this discussion.
I guess that knowing he had Hickory I kind of hoped that that might be correct

(Just checked with Wikipedia Argentina. does have forests, but seems like recent plantings.)

Last edited by Peterw; 03/01/17 04:33 PM.

PeterW
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
peter, oops, well, i live, i learn. my "clear" '30 wheel is Not typical i guess. i'll go out and look hard at the joining seams tomorrow; maybe dark stain there. jim

jf lewis
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Peterw
I guess the correct wood might well be Brazilian walnut or something, but from memory Argentina does not have many forests so if it was Brazilian it would be imported anyway.
As someone said above, any close grained hardwood. At the moment the guy who will do the wheel has Hickory and Oak in stock, but I will have a talk with him following this discussion.
I guess that knowing he had Hickory I kind of hoped that that might be correct

(Just checked with Wikipedia Argentina. does have forests, but seems like recent plantings.)

They used BRAZILIAN WALNUT . Its what came out of the wood frame of my car.

mike hood

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.