Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#384352 02/19/17 10:48 PM
Jim38 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good Evening, Long time member (#21813) first time posting a question the the Chat Site. I am looking for information on how to replace the Kin Pins on my 1937 Town Sedan with the straight I Beam axle. Are there any links showing a step-by-step how to? (hope I'm doing this correctly)
Thank you.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The best info. can be found in the shop manual. Note that the bronze bushing are full floating and are free to turn on the king pin and in the steering knuckel. Also the bushing has a grove around the out side and must be installed so the grove lines up withe grease fitting hole.
Bascally it will be necessary to remove the brake backing plate, the lock bolt that locks the king pin in place, the plug on top of the king in (In the knucle) and drive the king pin down. Tis will knock out the bottom plug.
Not necessary to ream bushings but, if the fit loose in the knuckle oversized king pins and bushing are necessary and the knuckle will then have to be reamed to fit the oversized king pin.
Pin MAY be difficult to drive down.
This should get you started and ask questions as you proceed.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Welcome to Chevy Chatter......glad to have you with us!

first time posting a question on the Chat Site

Actually, you made two posts on Chevy Chatter previously. Both in May of 2010. Glad that you came back to us!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Jim38 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Chevgene, Thanks for the reply. Starting to reassemble the chassis and front suspension and wanted to check the kingpins for excessive play to confirm if replacement is needed. I've read the 37' Manual and don't quite understand how to check for play. Are there any other sources anyone could suggest? Thanks again, elfman

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
To Check for excessive "play" you can grab the backing plate at the top and bottom and with some force pull the top towards you with one hand and push the bottom away from you. If you feel it moving at the king pin the king pin/bushings are loose and should be replaced.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If you have the straight axle out; you can take it to a machine shop that does school buses or UPS trucks. In my area it was the International Harvester Tractor Dealer that had a machine shop that could do it. You will have to check around. The biggest problem I ran into was the fact that they had to "re-tool" (re-set) their machines. That time; they charged me for but, it was well worth it. The King Pins, axle and knuckles are true. Where as before you could see it was wallered out egg shaped and feel it per the above post.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you do that you will need special oversized bushings as in 1937 the bhshing is free to float in the I beam axle and on the king pin.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.