Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello. The distributor in the 23 had tons of rotating play. About .20 of an inch. So I took off the distributor and saw the generator drive gear was sharp thin and flaking. So I got one from Mr Wallace that is keyed and has no spacer. Now I can't find the info but can someone tell me if the factory gear is pressed in and if the gear and spacer are one piece? Thanks for the help as I'm almost there.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Usually distributor drive and driven gears are replaced as a set. If only one gear is replaced that new gear will be worn down by the other gear in a short period of time.

Steve
'25 Superior "K", '79 Corvette , '72 Corvette LT-1 & 1965 Corvette Coupe
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The steel distributor drive gear with the internal keyway is used on the 1924/'25 REMY 950-B generator,and is retained by a slotted circular nut.
The steel distributor drive gear for a 1923 Chev with the AUTO-LITE generator,has no spacer as such,as it is machined as part of the gear,and the gear is locked to the generator shaft by a solid steel drive pin through this small extension of the gear.
Both drive gears turn the brass distributor at the same speed as the gear ratio is identical.I may have a matching set of either very good 2nd hand gears or a set of either NOS or NORS gears to suit the distributor used on the AUTO-LITE generator.

CJP'S 29
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the great info! I will keep trying g to tap out the pin as it moved a little but won't drive out.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
so the gear was pinned and the gear was a single piece. the teeth were thin like a razor. i installed the gear and distributor all back and now it runs great and responds to throttle better. thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.