Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#378833 11/17/16 05:30 PM
gr8t_28 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have recently bought a 1928 Chevrolet AB National 2 door coup with 171 Ci. 4 cylinder engine. The old owners told me that it was running a year or so ago. It looks like everything is there for it to run, but the year of car goes back farther than my knowledge. I was wondering if you guys could help me on a few questions. What type of motor oil should be used on this type of vehicle? What type of coolant should be used? (I live in Utah it can get to single digit degrees here). I have bought a new 6 Volt type 2 battery and a carburetor rebuild kit, because the carburetor is leaking and I am not sure if the old owners used gas with ethanol in it. Any other suggestions before trying to start this engine, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

gr8t_28 #378838 11/17/16 07:35 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi gr8t_28,

Welcome to the wonderful world of old Chevys! This is definitely the place to ask your questions and get knowledgeable answers.

Get to know these websites: https://www.fillingstation.com/
http://earlychevyparts.com/
http://www.marxparts.com/

You can get pretty much all parts for the 1928 motor, just not carbs, heads, engine blocks etc. But gaskets and tune-up parts etc. are all available. One of your first purchases should be an owner's manual and a shop manual.

If you post more info about your '28, we can give you more focused advice. For example, what is printed on the Car ID plate, if it still exists? What are the casting numbers on the side of the engine? Also, do you have any pics that we can see?

Here is a thread that I think you'll want to read: https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/359944/1927_landau_imperial_restore#Post359944 Resurrecting a '27 Chevy

Here's my procedure for starting my '28 truck:

1. Turn on the gas valve at the bottom of the vacuum tank. If the truck has been sitting for a very long time, I occasionally have to prime the vacuum tank. I installed a 1/8 NPT plug at the top of the inlet line for this purpose.

2. Make sure the transmission is in neutral and you are not pushing down on the clutch pedal.

3. Fully retard the spark lever.

4. Pull the throttle lever down (open) a bit. Something like 3/4" to 1" down.

5. Turn on the key.

6. Pull and hold the choke out.

7. Step on the starter button.

After the engine starts and runs for a few seconds, I ease off the choke and slowly advance the spark until the spark lever is in its top position. Then, usually, the engine is running faster than I'd like so I back off the throttle lever, but still leaving the engine running at a fast idle.

After a few moments, when the engine sounds like it is running smoothly, I'll push the throttle lever all the way up so that the engine is idling correctly (500-600 rpm).

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

gr8t_28 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

Thank you very much Dean,

I have read the resurrecting the 1927, and found your information great to know.
I will take some pictures and find some of the numbers mentioned.
If I have any other questions, I will ask.

Thank you again,

gr8t_28 #378896 11/19/16 09:50 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Besure to get the jets nice and clean. I bought one of them gallon buckets to soak stuff in on my 27. Also besure the spark plug wires are ran correctly. I had mine in wrong order when i got the car, it would start but backfired bad.. finally figured it out and now runs like a champ.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.