Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Ho all, just giving my 28 an overhaul after 25 years of use, rebuilt a gearbox and now getting ready to reinstall, but i need to replace the shaft for the brake and clutch pedal, how is it held in to the casting? press fit , may be left hand threaded, one part with the casting? want to be sure i don't butcher something trying to get out out, RAY

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Ray,

I believe its a press fit.

Regards

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
You have to grind of the bolt and remove the bracket from the housing. Use a heavy press (20 ton or more)
Heating my be needed.
Good luck
Arvid

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Arvid, photos and all ! RAY

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Ray
I sell a brake/clutch pedal shaft kit that comes with the tools for removing the old shaft for 26-30 Chevys. This is made by C&P Auto. The old shaft is drilled and threaded. The bolt and the sleeve are used to pull the old shaft out without removing the bracket from the bell housing. The new shaft is then tapped back in to the bracket. The shaft that comes with the kit is made of moly chrome steel and is drilled and tapped for a grease fitting. We also have the replacement bushings. To check this out, click on this link to our web site http://www.marxparts.com/repro%20chevy_clutch_brake.htm

Regards Bob@marxparts

Last edited by marxparts; 11/19/16 07:00 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Bob, all done mate, pressed it out, now I know how they are made wasn't so worried , I have a 10 tonne press, turned it down to 11/16" reinstalled and put in an 11/16-13/16" bush and ready to bolt in tomorrow sand blasted and painted the pedals and rods seeing as its 30 years since they were down by my dad, I'll post. A pic or 2 in the morning. Ray

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.