Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37640 05/01/06 02:16 AM
49 Bob Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am redoing the engine compartment on my '49 and would like to know what fasteners were painted and which were not. Were the screws attaching the fresh air inlet valves painted? How about the nuts up around the radiator, and the ones attaching the horns to the skirt? Also, were the nuts holding the battery down wingnuts or hex, and were they painted?
Thanks again,
Bob

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Without getting down to each nut and bolt its safe to say they were not painted....The individual parts were painted before they were assembled to the car.All of the fasteners you mentioned were not painted.The battery hold down used hex nuts (unpainted), also the long hold down bolts were unpainted.Just off hand I can't think of any fasteners that were painted.

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
So if they were not painted black then what was the over all theme, zink/chrome or blue steel looking?

Please tell me the door hinge bolts, hinge cover screws & trunk bolts were painted the car color???????

Ok tell me if I need to repaint them since I haven't mounted them yet as well.

thanks

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ok - I will tell you the door hinge bolts, ets. were painted after the mentioned parts were installed of the car. The doors and trunk lids were installed and adjusted before the body was sent through the paint both .

No bolts I can think of were painted black. Some were cad. plated and some the dark gray/black zinc plating....depending on teir location.

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic

I can tell mine is turning into a "driver +" more every day. But I'm not to discouraged and want to make it as "right" as possible, my so called friends want me to Chop & Rod it!

So looking back through my "crime scene photos", It was a "crime" to let the car get in the condition it was in I noticed that the cowl tag 3" x 4" must have went through the paint booth as well, correct? Were the letters & numbers slightly sanded to show better as the paint was removed and the alunimum exposed? Or did that happen over time?

Also did the "small dog tag" looking plate on the inside door jam on the drivers side, get a little Fathom green in my case as well or did it have a black or just natural background.
PS: what do the markings on the plate discribe? 20JKE 26890

Just think only 3-6 more years of questions!

You da Chevy man!
thanks

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The numbers/letters on the pillar post is your serial number. DO NOT take the tag off.

Many posts have ben written about folks who did take their tag off for whatever reason, then had problems with the title / license bureaus.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

Dean 50 - VCCA #44675
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks for the replys,

Anyone know about the cowl tag and serial number tag. Paint over with body color or Mask off?

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I would be inclined to mask it off.My 53 210s' tag has no paint on it and I am not positive that all of them came like that.Hopefully someone else will chime in with a little more information.BTW the serial number tag has no paint as well.

Cheers

Last edited by The53TwoTen; 02/22/10 02:56 PM.

"Take a stand and make a mark" Gilbert Kent
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks,
I noticed in the manual that background of the cowl tag is dark and the raised letters are light? but of course the book is in black and white. I would think it was a black background with raised letters that were natural metal or painted like the car since mine was? But maybe mine had some sloppy body work done in the 59 years of its life But I don't know for sure and its a small detail but a big one?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.