Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
MickeyC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All! I think I made a wrong adjustment somewhere...when I start my 27, it runs rough as anything and eventually stalls. When it shuts off, fuel drips out of the intake/head connection. From 1 and 2 cylinders only. Running a tad too rich??

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Remove manifold and check if you can pin-point the cause of the leak. If not obvious, replace the gaskets and retorque the bolts.

When the leak is fixed it may run much better. Then make decisions about the carburetor.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

MickeyC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Ray! I'll let you know!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sounds like your vacuum tank is malfunctioning gas must be getting into the vacuume line somehow.

Brian
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
My Money would be on a Vac Tank problem also

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I think there are at least two problems. One is likely with the vacuum tank. The other is the seal between the manifold and head. To get enough gas to run out of the manifold some must be coming in the line to the vacuum tank as was pointed out by a couple of folks. It will also cause the engine to run rich fairly soon after initial startup. But to have the gas leak out the manifold there must be a gap between the manifold and head ie. the gasket may be bad. Could be the bolts are not tight or manifold and/or head not flat.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
MickeyC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good news!! After replacing the intake gaskets still had the same problem. But after looking at the vacuum tank, which was rebuilt lately, the float wasn't working properly!! So after some minor adjustment its purring again!!
Thank you guys so much for your help! Don't know where I would be without you! Probably on the side of the road somewhere!!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Just a note Check your oil the gas could have also run into the cyl. and down to the crank case, if any suspect change the oil. Also the gas could hydralic a cyl. if suspect take out spark plugs and turn over by crank With IGNITION OFF so no spark. Liquid does not compress.
Ed

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.