Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#374589 08/30/16 11:40 PM
dads51 Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Apparently I'm not much of an auto body guy either as my rear fender is no longer in remission. Just above the fender skirt about 1/2 inch tall and 6 inches long comes the internal rust coming to the paint surface in the form of bubbles. I had cut out most? And reinforced the back with 1/8 strap but the Rust has returned.

So we are going to take it back down to the metal and treat aggressively I guess.
Question is:
What is this plate on the inner fender just above my cancer line? It appears to hold the fender skirt? Will it come out if we back out the bolts?
[Linked Image from i1027.photobucket.com]

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes and yes....It keeps the skirt from falling in and the two bolts hold it in place.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If you are absolutely sure that it is rust in the steel, and not moisture between the prime and color coats of paint, I would recommend that you replace the metal rather than try to kill the rust. Rust is like an iceberg in the ocean - what you see is only about 10% of what is there. Up here, most of the '49-'52's were rotted out in that area within 5 years as the salt used on the roads in winter loved steel.

Where you have the skirts, a GOOD body man could cut out a large section of the outer fender and fabricate a new panel with the proper opening for the skirt by using the skirt as a template. A commercially - made patch panel is available for the area you need, but the opening for the fender skirt might be so far off that you'll need the body man anyway.

In 1964, Brewster's '51 had only 15000 miles on it, yet the openings for the skirts had rotted completely as well as the very bottoms of the front fenders behind the wheels. The car had been out on winter roads but very rarely, yet had picked up enough salt to sustain the damage. They were repaired and held up nicely but Brewster found a lot of rot when he began his rebuild.

Hopes this helps you out.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I agree. If it is rust you are only doing a short term bandaid. I am a professional body man. The only way to treat rust is to cut it out and replace the metal. Also when cutting it out make sure you go past were you see the rust a couple inches. 9 times out of 10 it is rusting from the inside out and you do not see it all.

33yr member/3rd generation member
Andy Jurski #42092
Family collection:
26 collector cars:
20 Chevrolet's
2 Ford
1 Oldsmobile
3 Pontiac's

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Here is a page from The Chevrolet Story - On Integral Rear Fender Design. This article shows a 1949 Chevrolet.

[Linked Image from i1311.photobucket.com]

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Is there a link for this publication. I tried " The Chevrolet Story" and it appears to be more of a history lesson about the company versus a repair manual.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I bought this booklet at a swap meet many years ago. I believe it came in a box with a film strip and possibly a record. It went to dealerships as technical information. I do not have the record or film strip - just the booklet.

dads51 Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
The Cure for Car Cancer
First step Power Tools!

Then Order Parts

Weld and patch and fix the dents on the door when a tire on the car trailer blew and kicked the removable trailer fender up and of course hit the car.
paint, color sand and clear

put trim back on and pay the bill! 2 MONTHS Later
And enjoy the amazing job my painter/artist did!

Next week replace the leaking OAKIE bushing, re ark the leaf springs, and replace the gas tank float and sending unit.

I though I was done??????????????????

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You're NEVER done!! laugh

Beautiful job, that car looks great!

Last edited by brewster; 11/05/16 02:38 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.