Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Buddyp Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
SAY Clutch removal!It may be easiest to pay someone to do this but...
I imagine there are some of you who have gone both ways,remove the
engine and tranny or remove the rear end up to the torque tube and
tranny,to replace the clutch discs and throwout stuff.
Recommendations anyone?Relying upon previous experience here.
TNX 73
BRBuddyp

BRBuddyp or KI4BR
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Buddyp,
First you need to tell us what year? passenger or truck? It will make a difference in the best or recommended procedure.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Buddyp Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Oh,sorry.This is a 1928 National Coach,with a really poor clutch.
I,ve had it for just a week and have spent hours getting the brakes to work but the clutch is going to be a much bigger task.
Thanks for any suggestions.
73 BRBuddyp

BRBuddyp or KI4BR
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I generally prefer to remove engine and transmission and then make repairs. I have removed and reinstalled engine/transmission including changing clutch parts in approx. 5 hours. Not likely that you can do it in less than 2 days. Have removed and reinstalled an engine transmission in my '28 Coupe at least 5 times so, have a lot of practice. It is a looooong story.

It is not too difficult to remove the transmission but you need to lower the brake cross shafts, take apart the U-joint, drop the torque tube down, support the rear of the engine, remove bolts holding clutch housing and transmission to slide it back. If you are young or have a youngster to manhandle the transmission/housing assembly it is okay. Being in later maturity I take it all out where I don't have to simulate Hercules feats. Then you have to reverse the process including putting the U-joint back together. Not my favorite activity. Taking out the engine/transmission as an assembly and reinstalling does not require messing with the U-joint.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I would agree with Chipper, when younger, or with two people you can take out the gearbox working from the top with the floor removed.

If you not Hulk Hogan or don't have an assistant engine and box in one unit would be easier on the body.

I did one once on my own dropping the box from underneath, not a very pleasant task

Good luck

Cheers

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have a '28 AB Canopy Express, which is basically the same chassis as your coach.

I needed to change the clutch and throw-out bearing a couple of years ago. First, I jacked up the chassis and supported it with jack stands. By letting the rear end sag, the U joint housing gets enough room to disengage and drop to the floor.

Side note: to get the torque tube to the floor, I had to drop the brake equalizer bars.

I then positioned a beam through the windows of my cab and over the floorboards. I chained the outer ends of the beam (on the outside of the truck) to the rafters of my carport.

Now, with a beam directly over the tranny, I was able to use a come-along and easily lift the tranny, slide it away from the engine, and drop it to the floor.

As with any major operation, take the opportunity to inspect everything that is exposed. I found that the pivot pin for the throw-out bearing housing was worn so I replaced it. I also found that the splines on the front of the tranny were rusty (not worn), so I gently cleaned them with a fine, jeweler's file.

After putting in a new clutch, a new (roller bearing style) throw-out bearing, and furbishing the inside of the tranny (I got a tranny rebuild kit from the Filling Station), I used the come-along again to easily lift the tranny into position and slide it onto the back of the engine.

Take your time, think about each step, and be safe!

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 08/28/16 10:35 AM. Reason: added a sentence

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Buddyp Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks a lot,all who have responded.What a great resource we have here.
I appreciate the suggestions,and will let you know what I come up with.
Regards,
BRBuddyp

BRBuddyp or KI4BR

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.