Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#374011 08/19/16 02:22 PM
Zippy Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Does the vacuum advance stay connected to the distributor when setting timing?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Zippy #374017 08/19/16 04:46 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yes, the vacuum line remains connected! There is no vacuum signal to advance when the engine is idling; the vacuum port at the carburetor only allows vacuum to the advance when the
throttle is open beyond the closed idle position. I usually adjust my idle speed to as close to 500 RPM as I can get, then
adjust the idle air mixture screw to the smoothest idle you can get, then set your timing, and readjust carb settings as necessary. Gen Schneider advises setting the'octain selecter'
near the advance about 8 degrees early! I have done that and
it seems to work out very well! Engine starts easily and preforms well! Those Chevies do like some advance!

flip
Zippy Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My thanks for that info. There is advance vacuum at idle so I must have the idle rpm too high. Will fix that. Thanks again.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Phil Lipton
Yes, the vacuum line remains connected! There is no vacuum signal to advance when the engine is idling; the vacuum port at the carburetor only allows vacuum to the advance when the
throttle is open beyond the closed idle position. I usually adjust my idle speed to as close to 500 RPM as I can get, then
adjust the idle air mixture screw to the smoothest idle you can get, then set your timing, and readjust carb settings as necessary.
Gen Schneider advises setting the'octain selecter'
near the advance about 8 degrees early! I have done that and
it seems to work out very well! Engine starts easily and preforms well! Those Chevies do like some advance!

Phil, am I correct in assuming that all this is done with a warm engine with the choke off?

Best Regards, Pat
Pat S #374067 08/20/16 09:39 AM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
It would best be done with a warm engine. Choke really has nothing to do with it but I would have it "off".
The main thing would be to do it at a slow idle so the throttle plate is closed and the vacuum advance port is not exposed to the vacuum. Also the advance weights are not in play.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I will add that be sure that the slide under the advance is well greased/oiled. This will allow the vacuum to advance freely on the Octane selector. Also you can check to make sure it is free by turning it with the engine off. It should have a spring action that snaps back when you release it. That tests the springs and throw out weights under the points in the dist. as well as free movement of vacuum advance. All of which is used by the engine to advance the spark automatically.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.