Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#370076 06/12/16 12:58 AM
TIMBERR Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
In the '42-'48 shop manual, page 6-54, paragraph 6, it states to "check clearance between the transmission cross member and the "U" section plate. This clearance should be from .005" to .015". If clearance exceeds limits, remove the mounting and bend the U plate until clearance is obtained. Note-This is very important, because it limits fore and aft movement of the engine" Am I right in assuming the "U" is the transmission mount and are they talking about not snugging down the transmission mount bolts?!!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

TIMBERR Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well I'll try this post again and see if I get any comments!!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Timberr,

Like you I have waited for a response because the same directions are in the 41 manual on page 170. I have always tightened the bottom 4 screws on the transmission mount to around 45 pounds of torque. It is usually the last thing I tighten after the drive shaft and motor mounts are in place and secure. I want the plate to center itself on the cross member. That is why, I assume, the bolt holes in my motor mount are oval.

I assume the manual is referring to when you place the mount on a flat surface it should rest on the surface with the area of the bolt holes not having a clearance more than .005" to .015" from the flat surface.

I do not understand the rational of why this clearance is of any concern since tightening the mount to the cross member would bend the mount back into a flat plain.

I do set the bolts in place as part of lowering the engine/transmission into position. This helps align the engine, transmission, and driveshaft to the cross member and motor mounts. I also use flat washers on the top of the mount so as not to compromise the oval holes in my mount.

There is a rubber pad that is part of the mount installation which changes the height of the transmission in relationship to the cross member. So needing to leave .005" to .015" of space under the mount and cross member makes no sense.

Just my two cents.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The .005 to .015" clearance refers to the clearance between the sides of the top u shaped metal plate (It's actually bath shaped)of the mount and the lower metal section of the mount bolted to the crossmember. When the two studs are tight the plate is locked to the engine/transmission and moves with it and the movement is limited by the lower section of the mount.Look up oldcarmanualproject Chevrolet Service news 1945-46-47 Engine mount adjustment and you'll see a good diagram of it

ColinGrant
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Collin,

This is the first time I have used the Chevrolet Service News part of the Online Manual Project Old Online Chevy Manuals. A picture is truly worth a thousand words. Here is the link to the article Collin sights Transmission Mount.

Your Awesome,
Mike

P.S. Please disregard my previous post

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Who knew!! Thanks for the info!

Dale Carter
VCCA #8661
1948 Fleetmaster Convertible
1948 RHD Stylemaster Sedan Delivery
1948 1-Ton Tow Truck
1967 Camaro Coupe
TIMBERR Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for every ones reply. And a special thanks to Collin for pointing out the service news picture. That sure clears up the issue.

Thanks again, Alan

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.