Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#365734 04/03/16 03:26 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
OK, one more question and I will leave you all alone for a while!

How does that package shelf come out on a 1938 Chevrolet MD 4 door sedan?

Getting ready to install my new LeBaron Bonney headliner and it comes with a new package shelf.

Removing that old headliner was a real haz mat environment. All kinds of weird stuff came falling out! Mostly produced my mice I suspect.

I am sure after the headliner I will do the door panels. The original ones aren't too bad but I am sure they will look worse next to the new headliner.

Thanks!

Brad

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
It has been a while but I seem to remember that the shelf is secured from crews in the trunk. Wasn't part of the headliner attached to the shelf?

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The shelf its self is a structual piece welded into the body. The trim (cardboard) is attacthed to the top of it.

Gene Schneider
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Must be different from the coupe. The package shelf in my coupe is wood attached with screws. Below is one side of the package shelf on my '38 from below.

[Linked Image from i47.photobucket.com]

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yes indeed, the headliner is attach behind the shelf on a tack strip it looks like but hard to see. I will disassemble the trunk and take a look!

Thanks all!

Brad

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I just took a quick look at my Master and couldn't see anything through the trunk but the underside of the steel shelf. I didn't see any evidence of bolts or screws holding that in. The construction manual says the supports for the shelf are tack welded in but doesn't say anything about the shelf itself, at least not that I could find. Looking in the car with seats removed and pulling up the upholstery a little on the shelf, it appears the cardboard piece is held in by bent over clips along the front and possibly slides under some hold-down slots at the rear. These are hidden by the upholstery covering the cardboard. From what I could see, it doesn't look as though the steel shelf is removable. I imagine the headliner is held down with tacks because it would be impossible to fasten it to the bottom of the cardboard. Removing the cardboard cover would reveal a lot but I am not there yet. Beamer

Last edited by Beamer; 04/04/16 12:24 PM.

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Since I am getting a new package shelf cardboard, I think I will slit the fabric on the old one and take a look underneath and see what is holding it in place.

Will post what I find if I can figure out how to post a picture!

Brad

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
The shelf its self is a structual piece welded into the body. The trim (cardboard) is attacthed to the top of it.

This.

Scroll down to my last post with a bunch of trunk pictures, and you'll see the shelf in pictures #5 & #6.

Click here

~Jim

'38 Master Deluxe 2-Dr

*Disclaimer*...All technical advice given is for entertainment value only, and is not to be taken seriously...
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Run your fingers along the top of the shelf right next to the seat back. You will feel the metal tabs described earlier. The shelf is basically pinched between the back of the car and the metal tab that slip over the cardboard material, but under the fabric covering the shelf.

Brian

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Rats!! I missed Chev Nut's post re the shelf being welded in. I guess I'll have to look closer at previous posts. I could have saved myself a lot of time and effort! Oh well, I just finished all of my taxes so maybe now I can slow down a little
and pay more attention to other stuff(no comments please on being too poor to pay attention). Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.