Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'd like to know what wood's type is it used for floor and body chevy '29 (ash, walnut, or other?
I'd like to know also how the floor's plates are positioned (nailed, screwed, rest)?
Someone have a pitcure of this?
Thank you all.
Saluti dall'Italia.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
i know most of the guys here use white ash for repro parts. Have bought a few parts for my 1929 and they are really NICE.

my understanding is Chevrolet used different varieties based on availability and location.

My floors look like a variation of plywood, what type, not sure.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The specifications call for hardwood. That is any wood that is not a soft wood [conifer (pine)]. They used what ever they had on hand, even some pine. Generally the floorboards were plywood but occasionally some pieces of boards held together with strips screwed to the bottom.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you all.
If I post a picture, can you tell me if my wood floor is original?
Saluti dall'Italia

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just got most of the wood for my 30 Coupe. Will take pictures if you want. Can you tell me what bracket is used for the body lock pillar....rear door upright that connects it to the sill. is it a L bracket or a triangular brace like the Hinge Pillar or is it a wood bracket? My Body book is not good for 1929-30
Steven
P.S. All my wood is Oak

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Steves 30.
I dont know to much English
This pitcure can you be help?
[img]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPAUlnvA0DombQE3o5QLFay0jJhICaF8ZX_USuZ[/img]

Is this the part that interests you?

Saluti dall'Italia

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Oak should not be used. In any collision it shivers into splinters and is quite dangerous. White ash is standard and yes alternatives were used based on availability. Up in the Oshawa plant in Canada maple was used extensively.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Oak should not be used. In any collision it shivers into splinters and is quite dangerous.

While it is true that red oak (most commonly available oak) does tend to break with splinters, white oak does not. Though I routinely use white ash, I have used oak for larger structural parts or parts that require strength and are more likely to see water, like door posts and main sills. The higher tannin levels make oak much less susceptible to rot. In my opinion the lack of restraints and internal padding is a far more ominous threat than splintering oak. Another consideration with oak versus many other species is the higher mineral levels that more quickly dull saw blades and other tool edges.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Alfredodemo: I had noise in my clutch from a broken bolt holding the pilot wishbone arm, the donut fell down on the ctn.shaft. are you sure your noise is in the tranny? When I speeded up it would stop making any noise.
Dulty

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question may be related. I am replacing the sill plates on my 29 coupe and the old ones are laminated wood with layers about a quarter inch thick. The boards going across are also made of plywood, although, some boards have thinner layers. I haven't heard anyone else refer to the sills as plywood. I believe they are original. I am planning to fabricate or buy solid wood replacements probably ash.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
the sills should be a hardwood, ASH, SOUTHERN YELLOW PINE, MAPLE, OAK. Ash is my choice as it cuts well, chisels well and has a tight grain that oak doesn't.

I believe that the foot area was plywood sheeting, but if your going that way make sure you use EXTERIOR GRADE. I am making my floor out of 3/4" ash planed to thickness. If you have access to a biscuit joiner use that to joint the floor pieces into a solid sheet.

mike lynch Agrin

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi Mike,
The original floor boards in my 1929 are laminated ash. The core is 1/4" with two layers of 1/8" on top and bottom to make up 3/4" total thickness. The layers are orientated 90 degrees to each other with the center and two outer layer grain running across the car. My 1929 was built in Oshawa and is mostly maple. Noticed you are in Whitby.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
yes I am in whitby and I am redoing a 1935 Chevrolet roadster, made in Tarrytown NY most likely and shipped to argentina for re-assembly on the Buenos Aries GM assembly line.[

The wood in my car is mostly Northern Ash , with other parts made of white oak. Cherry is being used for front floor, seat back rest and the slats in the rumble seat back rest.

I am choosing the wood at PEACOCK lumber in Oshawa with the most character in it , so that it looks like a real tree was used.

None of the wood will be covered with upholstery. I am using $50 a liter Epifanes varnish from Holland to coat it.

mike lynch................. Agrin

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.