Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Extras, now that doesn't surprise me :) There is also a star on the passenger side, which I have been told are addons.

At one time he mounted antlers on the grill somehow.

But changing instruments, that would surprise me. :):)

The car is going to be restored to factory, there is a lot to learn about what this car and how it should be.

I did find an 1935 vintage eagle rad hood emblem online that will need to be re chromed.

the one on the car is either very plane or perhaps broken.

That's why I joined this club.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Paper
Thank you for all of this information Mike.

You have obviously been researching for some time.

GM never mentioned there were another 49 manufactured for export.

Actually Karen I only started researching the 34-35 roadsters when I bought my own 35 roadster in 2012.

If you asked him ( George ) the total production for 35 roadsters left and right hand drive plus exports he would have looked that up.

mike lynch

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Karen, you mostly see the 1934 eagle radiator ornament on line at ebay usa. Occasionally the 35 eagle shows up on ebay.

My friend Garry in Stoney Creek Ontario has a nice one that could be used as is. Saw it on a visit there 3 weeks ago.

BE VERY CAREFULL, there are 2 radiator mascots, one for the standard and a different one for the master

email me direct at my address and will supply garry email address and you can deal with him directly.

What you have on the car is the stock radiator cap.

Gotta have a better picture of those caribou antler rack on the front. That's a model railroad thing or even backwoods logging thing .

mike lynch Agrin

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Turns out Karen has a 1934 eagle.

so many people advertise things on ebay usa swearing up and down about how they know they are right.........well guess what , seller was wrong.

mike

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The 1934 is on it's way to me. Have emailed the seller, hopefully they will let me return it.

When I was googling images, the 34 came up, didn't know at the time when I bought it from seller advertising as a 35 (:

Can't tell you how thankful I am to have found you on this forum with the wealth of information you have.

Will try to upload the photo of the antlers!

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for pointing out all the things that are incorrect on the car.

Have a lot of things to find to correct whoever changed them up.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Make sure you take lots of pictures of before you take it apart. It's also important that your family remembers the way Dad, Grandpa (etc) kept it. The extra emblems & antlers would make some nice garage hangings as well!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Will do for sure, saw the antlers laying at the side of the shop by the car.

Wish the car was already underway with restoration, but likely going to be this summer /fall before I have time to bring it out to BC and begin restoration.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Paper ,
Has this car been previously restored or repainted ?, as if the paint is original and un-repainted in good condition , it might be more valuable to save it in the unrestored condition as a "survivor" and just return it to correct with out non standard add ons.

JACK
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I have been extreamly careful to save my vehicles correct in every detail. I have found ways to preserve things like wiring and wood.. Photo's are extreamly important. before, during and afterwards. I also use them to find problems I did not "see". Sometimes I am distracted by other things. Or I loose track of some detail. Be careful removing anything just to remove it. It is all in what you want to do with the vehicle? Do you want a "daily driver" or a "show car". I love driving mine down these dirt back country roads here in Mississippi. I have mud under my fenders. (Something that a show car person would go crazy over.) I enjoy my vehicles. It is all in what you want to do. Remember it is a hobby and after all you don't need to get in it and drive to work in the morning. Restoring these takes time. Best of luck.

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The car has not been restored.

My dad painted the fenders and bumper, but as far as I know it hasn't been painted.

I do plan to drive the car from time to time and it would fun to take to a show.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi Paper!

Welcome to the hobby and club! You along with Bruce Pearce and myself are some of the second generation club members. And congratulations on a great looking car and project.

Please let me know how I may be of help with your project as I know a lot about roadsters & phaetons. I also have some information which I can share with you related to 35's, all US information which is different from the Canadian cars. I can also get you in touch with the 33/34/35 open car TA who is currently working on 3 1934 master roadsters and has restored a 34 standard phaeton.

From my understanding, the bodies (roadster/phaeton) which were used in 35 were the same body as a 34, so the parts are interchangeable. The only differences are like the gauges which were 35, or the engine being a 35, and the frame being a 35. When Mike first got his car, I notice some of the differences for him and that is when he realized he really had a 35 roadster and not a 34.

I will send you a PM with my contact information and call me any time, I'm just south of you in Vancouver, USA.

Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bruce, its good we can help Karen out in Vancouver BC with restoring her fathers car. I have swapped about 30 + emails with her so far , directing her to I & I repo and also the filling station and lynn steele rubber as sources of parts she will need down the road.

Car is still at parents home in Saskatchewan province in the prairies of Canada in a fairly high up from the USA border area. they have a trailer and will bring it back this summer.

BRUCE Thanks for all your past help with my roadster. Day I unloaded the car from transporter and looked underneath , I knew wasn't a 34 as title said but a 35 based on the frame with X member .

The scumbag in KY pulled a firewall fisher tag off a 34 master and got the title based on that. I did not know any better but I sure do now !!!

mike lynch Agrin

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
April 1-3 is the swap meet in Portland, we have been talking about going to that if we can.

Thanks to Mike and Earl, have been picking up some items that the car is going to need. Have an awful lot to learn and want to make sure it's done right.

Appreciate the help for sure!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yup... The antlers would certainly look good on the garage wall!

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
[size:14pt][/size]In model railroading , mostly backwoods logging layouts, antler racks are almost a requirement for a well dressed and oily , rusty locomotive.

We have all seen the 7 foot texas long horns on cadillacs and other larger cars. Cannot say as I have ever seen an elk or caribou rack ? on a car. I would go for an 8 foot Moosie rack myself.

In model railroading , I actually had a guy fabricate 8 foot wide moose rack that I affixed to a couple of locomotives. In the model railroad world what I did was a big hit .

mike lynch....... parking

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bruce!

Thank you so much for contacting me and the information/contacts you have sent.

We look forward to meeting you in Portland!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey Karen!

Your very welcome! And looking forward to meeting you as well at Portland. And don't forgot to come over one evening.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Good luck with your car. I have my dad's car too and I don't regret one minute or one cent it took in restoring it. Yours being in the condition it is will turn out just about perfect. Keep us posted.

Best Regards, Pat
Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you Pat! What car did you get from your dad?

Being in Ontario, have you come across any information on the CN manufactured vehicles in re to trim, paint colors etc.?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Paper
Thank you Pat! What car did you get from your dad?

Being in Ontario, have you come across any information on the CN manufactured vehicles in re to trim, paint colors etc.?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karen as mentioned before......to the best of my knowledge nobody has the aluminum tag code for what the paint and upholstery colour was from the factory. If they did and were a member here, somebody would have talked about it .

My friend Garry in stoney creek says the correct paint mixing colour codes are in a Canadian Chevrolet service news either 1934 or 35 , a specific issue, that escapes me right now.

His Service News is so fragile he will not even touch them !!!

I also mentioned to you before re the paint, to look at the sheet metal inside the trunk, under the dash, under the door upholstery. These are all areas that would not get touched on repaints.

Original paint type......NITROCELLULOSE LACQUER , thinners and primers are available from Hibernia auto restorations in NY, they can ship to your body shop. You would have to talk to somebody in paint dept to see if they have Canadian built paint codes or colour chips. ????

mike lynch

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Mike,

I understand from what you shared, that Hercules-Campbell manufactured the open body cars (Roadsters and Phaetons) and that Fisher made the bodies for the closed cars.

I have read in some earlier threads that possibly Chevrolet made the bodies for the Roadster as well. Also in an earlier thread I read that A was the code for Fisher made and B was for

If there isn't such a plate, how does one know for sure who made the body?

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi Karen,

Just want to comment on your post. To date, no one has any documentation as to who really made the Roadster or Phaeton bodies. The only thing that we can say fore sure is that Fisher did not make the bodies. What we do know is the Roadster and Phaeton bodies were built by Chevrolet.

Now with that being said, truck bodies were made by the Independence body company at the same time. We know that because that is noted in the parts books of the time. For example I have a 32 parts book for only 32 cars and trucks, it lists the trucks as Independence bodies.

So there is no evidence that Hercules-Campbell which were two companies at that time if I remember correctly, made Roadster or Phaeton bodies.

As to your comment about A code or B code, I can't find a picture of your cowl tag to address that. Since we didn't have cowl tags in the US, it would indicate that the cowl tags were put on by the Chevrolet plant in Canada or by who made the bodies for Chevrolet. And we know that Canadian bodies came out of a different plant than the US bodies. You can tell this from the workmanship, Ralph McEowen has stated this a few times to me.

So to answer your question, you can't tell where the bodies came from other than the difference between a Canadian open car and a US built open car.

Hope this helps.
Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
In a conversation with member 35pete this afternoon where the bodys were made , was part of that conversation.

35Pete suggested that the GM plant in st Louis that produced body parts , was the plant that produced the roadster and touring bodys for the USA and Canada.

Seeing as how we CANADA only produced :
1934 phaeton.....1........domestic sales
1934 roadster.... 76 .....plus LH & RH exports
above is for series 200 **early 1934** = oct to December 34

1934 phaeton.....NO domestic sales Only L & RH drive exports
1934 roadster....NO domestic sales Only L & RH drive exports
above is for late 1934 January onward

1935 phaeton..3 for domestic sales ,42 LHD export 149 rhd export
1935 roadster...50 for domestic sales , 49 LHD & RHD export.
Above is for 1935 production

Seeing as how these Canadian production numbers are very small in number compared to USA production numbers, 35Pete and I have come to the conclusion that the wood kits and metal body panels were made at St Louis possibly and shipped to Canada to the Woodstock Ontario facility where then would be assembled and shipped to the Oshawa Ontario plant for painting trimming and mounting onto a chassis.

We , nor does anybody else , have absolute proof of what parts were made where. It makes no sense to produce a set of tooling dies to produce metal body panels in Canada for this low production.

I personally also believe that Campbell-Hercules might have produced these bodies to Chevrolet.

Its all speculation on our part trying to get at the truth to share with fellow vcca members.

mike lynch Agrin

Paper Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Bruce.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.