Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Anybody out there in San Diego County know of any stations selling the pure gas (non-ethanol)?? My research so far only turns up some places selling it by the can for mucho buckarinos and at 100 octane.

We're headed there next year and I'm already getting neurotic about it!! LOL
So far no response from some of the local region folks.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Their emission laws are so strict I would doubt it other than the racing gas with is 8.00 plus per gallon. Moving there or just visiting?....Joe

See America's First...Chevrolet

1931 Sedan Delivery 31570
1933 Standard Sports Coupe 33628.
1934 Master Sedan Delivery Canadian 177/34570
1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I just spent a few days in San Diego area. Regular gasoline was over $ 3.00 per gallon. That's almost double what it is here in Texas. $ 8 might not be as much of a upcharge as you think. Also check marinas as many boat engines can not tolerate ethanol.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Joe and Chipper,
Thanks for the feedback. Joe--we're planning on moving there.

I will check with the marinas once there as I know the boat places here In VT sell it. Price is not much of an issue. It is what it is and is the price we pay to enjoy our old cars. wink

Gas is pretty cheap here in VT right now. $2.19 gal for the corn stuff and 2.84 for the good gas.

Any San Diego folks out there reading the Forum??

Rick

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
When you get to California you will find that they have strict rules and laws on just about everything. Moved out of that state and never looked back.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Not the only place. Vermont (a.k.a. "Tree Huggerville) is almost as bad. However, small price to pay for perfect climate to grow old in IMHO. I'm sick of raking snow off the roof here in the Frozen Tundra!! Bah Humbug!!
Not for the faint of heart!!LOL

Cheers,Skip.

Last edited by styleline51; 12/08/15 07:39 AM.

Rick

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There are plenty of other places in the Southern USA that don't have snow shoveling duties. I used to live in the San Diego area and have the opportunity now but wouldn't again. Yes the weather is fine but way too many people and oppressive government. Not very conducive to old car hobby if you like more than one.

BTW I was just there visiting last week to get a refresher. Didn't change my opinion.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Rick! Yes, I live here in San Diego. Moved here from Los Angeles a few months ago. SO glad I did. Talk about "too many people"...it's way less crowded here than in LA. But it's all relative. I'm an East Coaster, native of NYS. Moved to LA 12 years ago and still miss the changes of seasons, even less crowdedness and of course my family. To Chipper's point, my heart is still in New England!
I agree with the comments made here about So Cal not being the most friendly to us old car fans. Thank God for our club though. I have found tremendous support through my local chapter (still belong the LA one). If one is to live in CA and be a fan of old cars, one is wise to stick with 1975 model years and older. 1976 and newer models are subject to state smog testing.
Anyway, I could ramble on about the subject of east coast vs west. Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer in answer to the original question here. But there are plenty of marinas in So Cal! Good luck in your move out here! Perhaps once you're settled, we could meet up for coffee/lunch sometime.
Matt

Last edited by GlideAways; 12/08/15 11:21 AM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I'm sick of raking snow off the roof here in the Frozen Tundra!! Bah Humbug!!

I tend to agree with you about raking snow off of the roof....I wouldn't want to do that either. We get snow here in the area of Oregon where I live, but not to the point where it has to be removed from the roof with a rake. However, after living in Los Angeles (and yes, I have been to San Diego) there ain't no way I would ever move back to Southern California. I would probably rake the snow off of the roof first. bigl

Here in Oregon we are having a lot of people moving to this area from California (more like a mass exodus if you will) to get away from the California "government", the mass of people, the smog, the traffic and the list goes on.

We went back to the LA and San Diego areas a few years ago for a visit (it was against my better judgment but my wife wanted to go there)....and after the first day of seeing what Southern California was like, my wife said that she had enough of the area and wanted to return to Oregon immediately. Unfortunately, we were stuck there for five days because of our plane reservations.

I agree with Chipper, after visiting the area my opinion hasn't changed as to why I moved out of California in the first place.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I purchase fuel for the school district that I work at so I ask my sales person this question;

I have a question that is not work related.
Phoenix & Tucson get a oxy blend of fuel year round…I think.
Is non oxy fuel used in other parts of Arizona?

My answer was;
No. All the Unleaded gasoline now has a minimum of 10% Ethanol Blend all year long.

Maybe New Mexico might be a better choice?...Joe

1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Joe, Skip, Chipper, and Matt,
Thank you for the various opinions on life in So. Cal. It makes for interesting reading!!
Checking marinas in San Diego fell off my "to do list" but I will research that as well.
Hey what's life without challenges?? At least out west we can drive our old cars 12 months compared to 4-5 months if we're lucky back in the Northeast. dance

My research indicates that Mexico still uses pure gas, but these days with Natl. Security, etc.. crossing the border is too much of a hassle just to fill up and one needs to have Mexican liability insurance to do it. Here in Vermont we're lucky in that the marinas import pure gas from nearby Canada.

Keep those opinions coming.

Matt, I sent you a PM with my contact info. Let's keep in touch.

Last edited by styleline51; 12/09/15 08:06 AM.

Rick

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Chip,
I agree but we also have another motive for relocating to SD as my wife's kids are in L.A. and she wants to be closer, so for marital harmony I agreed. flush

LOL

Rick

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

Quote. My research indicates that Mexico still uses pure gas.

There are some that would disagree with you. There are some that say it's blended with water & other unknowns. I'm only 60 miles from Mexico. We hear lots of interesting stories other than the drug problems.

My thing with San Diego & other cities in California is lack of sunshine until thing blow over. In Tucson I usually see sunshine from the get go until it fades over the mountains. Beautiful sunsets especially during monsoon season. Muscle cars from here usually have high mileage because we used to drive them 365 days of the year. A little toasty here in the summer but it's no different than opening the oven & checking on the turkey during thanksgiving :) ...Joe

1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Yes, I know if the wife ain't happy nobody's happy. There are worse places than San Diego just up the road. In Texas we can use our cars 24/7/365 and once outside the large cities, people are friendly, air is clean and life is good. Well, maybe a whiff of cow poo every once in a while.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Originally Posted by Chipper
Yes, I know if the wife ain't happy nobody's happy. There are worse places than San Diego just up the road. In Texas we can use our cars 24/7/365 and once outside the large cities, people are friendly, air is clean and life is good. Well, maybe a whiff of cow poo every once in a while.

That coo poo should all be washed away with all the rain you good people had recently.

Dick

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got your PM Rick and replied. Looking forward to staying in touch!

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Ditto. talk

Rick

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
My thing with San Diego & other cities in California is lack of sunshine until thing blow over.

Hi Joe,
Lack of sunshine?? We just got back from two weeks there and it was sunny and blue skies every day! I would think that would apply to N. Ca maybe. We love the Coast and the Beach and like I said before the Boss wants to be closer to her son in L.A.. I've spent time in Yuma and I know my wife and I wouldn't be able to tolerate the hot summers, but AZ is great for the other three seasons definitely.

Everyone has their favorite places for sure.

Happy Holidays.

Rick

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
XLVII,
The rain just flattens the paddies a bit. The fly better when flat.

Styleline51,
If close enough to the coast to enjoy the best year-round weather (except for the Santa Ana winds) there is typically the "marine layer" that hangs over the coast until ~ 10 am. After than the sun is out and it is beautiful if the air is clear. If too far inland to get much of the marine layer than it gets VERY HOT in the summer.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
We really only have 2 seasons here. We have summer & then we have January. Enjoy your new home away from snow...Joe

1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I believe his question was about finding non ethanol gas not everyone's opinion on where he elects to live. Please correct me if I am wrong! Lets try to be helpful folks and not so negative.

These sites list them:
http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal#SoCal
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

I hope this helps.
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks for the links, Richard.

Unfortunately, neither lists anything for the SF Bay Area.

Oh well, my '28 seems to run fine on regular-from-the-pump.

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I think everyone likes to express their opinions and that doesn't necessarily mean it's negative.

People are people and things naturally tend to get a little off subject. No biggie and it's fun to read the various opinions on the West Coast.

The pure gas site is a good one.

Thanks Richard. Let's keep it light-hearted and give folks the benefit of the doubt. Cheers.

Rick

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Interesting point you raise on the coastal weather Chipper.

Thank you. yay

Rick

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Back to the gas. Here in southern Oregon we have easy access to 92 octane non-ethanol gas. Grants Pass has four outlets for it. It's best used in small 2 cycle engines but the old cars like it also. I have rebuilt my carb and fuel pumps with ethanol resistance parts but have never used ethanol gas in them. I plan on taking some non ethanol with me to Tahoe, enough to get me thru the tours. In the San Diego area I would think someone would be bringing it in from Mexico. Check with the local racing crowd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.