Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#351707 09/15/15 04:00 PM
lynda Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
When installing a new fabric top kit, is it necessary to remove or loosen the sheet metal above the visor, and should the top material go under it? How should this area be sealed to keep the rain out. We are fairly certain that the top that was on the car is not the original.

Thank You All for your help and advice as always.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
No, the metal front trim piece stays nailed in place. The new roof fabric should overlap the trim piece by about 3/8", I put some good sealant on the area before setting the fabric in place and tacking it down (fabric nails don't go through steel trim piece). I then put some additional sealant over the fabric nail heads and over the fabric to edge at trim piece before the hidem strip is nailed in place. The hidem strip has not much room for error as hidem is only about 5/8"-3/4" wide if I recall. Hidem strip is centered on the joint at ends where roof side sheetmetal meets the front trim piece, so keep that in mind before starting nailing the hidem. Best to start at center of roof and nail carefully towards both ends. Finally, once in place, you can pry hidem open and using a caulking gun, place a smsall bead of caulking inside open hidem and then close it over to seal tops of nails. If desired, you can also put a small bead of black caulk on front edge of hidem to ensure a good seal, nothing was used there originally. Sounds like a lot of work eh! It is!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.