Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#350906 09/06/15 10:18 PM
MattD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have the same problem with my Coupe as described in the Fan Frenzy article on page 20 of this month's G & D. Does anyone know where I can purchase the subject fan? GM part no. is 837448.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Is this the fan with a steeper pitch to help with overheating?

MattD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Blades are larger and the fan has about an inch more diameter than the car fan.

Matt
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Its the pitch of the fan blades that draws substantially more air thru the radiator cooling the anti-freeze/water by 30 degrees as it runs thru the radiator for heading back to the water pump.

This whole thread was started by myself in a post on this site and Phil contacted me about it and he did some experiments based on the experience I had cooling my 35 std coupe.

When I bought my 35 chev roadster that had a 33 master engine in it , I was trying to figure out how to adapt the chrysler non clutch 7 blade fan onto the water pump mounting flange hub or a vintage air co. 6 blade fan.

The problem is that the early chev motor water pump mounting hub is too small. A machined adaptor that mounts onto the hub that would accept the Vintage Air co fan is exactly whats needed.

So if somebody wants to make one and market it, they would make a lot of early chevy owners happy. So who has a lathe and milling machine that wants to go into production of couple hundred units ????

Phil was trying to make one last year but ran into a problem.

mike lynch Agrin

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Does the adaptor I used when I had the flex fan on my 35 look like it will work on your car?

[Linked Image from i1365.photobucket.com]

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Brian, get rid of that flex fan, they are junk.

purchase a VINTAGE AIR fan as its steel blades do not straighten out when spinning.

Try hanging a cloth diaper 24" square in front of the grill mesh with car engine running at idle, and see if it draws the cloth to the rad. Doesn't !!

Put the vintage air fan on and see what happens as the cloth is sucked/ drawn too the grill mesh and keeps it there.

My 35 coupe overheated in garage at idle with the flex fan installed before I went to the steel vintage unit.

vintage air part number
32917-VUF 17 1/4 x 2 for the 17 1/4 long fan
32918-VUF 18 1/4 x 2 for the 18 1/4 long fan

mike lynch------------ Agrin

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
It looks like it might well work; the important thing is to be
certain the center is perfect! If the center is even slightly
off center it will create an out of balance situation that
could shorten the life of the water pump and/or destroy the
radiator if it came apart at high rpm. In later model cars I
have even seen fan blades penetrate the hood! I believe Chevy
even had a recall on some fan blades for that reason back in
the late 60's or early 70's. My advice is to be very careful!
The ideal solution is if some one would start reproducing the
originals1 !

flip
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

The more efficient the fan, the more the power loss.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
PHIL, the problem is, how many people would buy the improvement and at what cost to repo them......the 34-36 truck fan. People generally do not want to lay out any $$$. The real question is how many would commit with a deposit to buy one ???

Unfortunately not enough to make it happen. Happens to repo ideas all the time.

Surely there must be a lot of these old trucks sitting around in scrap yards waiting to have their fans removed.

mike

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
"So if somebody wants to make one and market it, they would make a lot of early chevy owners happy. So who has a lathe and milling machine that wants to go into production of couple hundred units ????"

Mike,

I'd do that in a heartbeat. After doing this:

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/334876/1936_Chevy_3.55_rear_gear_conv

making fan adaptors would be a cake walk. The only question is would anybody buy them from someone as irreverant to authority as me?

"Phil was trying to make one last year but ran into a problem."

What was the problem?

Ray W

Last edited by brino; 09/07/15 10:04 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The flex fan was on my car for a few days as an experiment. At the low rpm's our engines rev the diaper actually drew in faster than the stock fan. But not as well as the truck fan does. Trial and error is what keeps the hobby alive. I would supply this adaptor to anyone interested. PM me to discuss.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by wisebri
The flex fan was on my car for a few days as an experiment. At the low rpm's our engines rev the diaper actually drew in faster than the stock fan. But not as well as the truck fan does. Trial and error is what keeps the hobby alive. I would supply this adaptor to anyone interested. PM me to discuss.

If you try the VINTAGE AIR fan I think you will be amazed at the drawing power. Just measure your fan length ( 17 1/4 or 18 1/4 ) to make sure it would clear your lower inlet hose and also your upper outlet rad hose.

Okay guys ball is in your court re making and selling the adaptor..............how much to purchase one for all those people reading this thread and the 33--36 section always has a lot of readers.

mike lynch

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by brino
"So if somebody wants to make one and market it, they would make a lot of early chevy owners happy. So who has a lathe and milling machine that wants to go into production of couple hundred units ????"

Mike,

I'd do that in a heartbeat. After doing this:

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/334876/1936_Chevy_3.55_rear_gear_conv

making fan adaptors would be a cake walk. The only question is would anybody buy them from someone as irreverant to authority as me?

"Phil was trying to make one last year but ran into a problem."

What was the problem?

Ray W
========================================================

Hopefully Phil will see this and respond as I forget exactly what he said in an email.

mike lynch

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The problem I ran into with the steeper pitch fan blade was
the offset was different enough that I couldn't get it
between the radiator and the water pump to install it. I
probably could have had the radiator repositioned deeper into the grill, but I decided against that! Using the truck fan
blade required absolutely no modifications! It was about a
15-20 minute job! There may well be fan blades that move more
air, but the results I got from this swap seems to have achieved the desired result for me.

flip
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
To add to the conversation, hearing from guys who have been
able to purchase truck blades, and my own experience, the
going rate for a nice fan blade now seems to be just under
$50.00 plus a few bucks for shipping. It seems to me a reasonable price to pay for the piece of mind of not having to
drive with one eye on the temp gauge! Installing an electric
auxillary will certainly cost more and entail much more labor
and destroy any 'stock' appearance!An overheated engine, blown
head gasket or cracked head is certain to cost more, plus the
inconvenience of sitting on the side of the road!

flip
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Lets see if I understand ! If I buy a Vintage air fan does it still needs an adapter ? If so what is different , the center hole , bolt holes or both ? How about a description of the adapter ! I have a 34 1/2 ton ( has run hot at a stand still sense the rebuild ) with a 207 car engine witch has the smaller fan . It is 14 7/8 long x 2 3/4 wide in the center of the blades . I know the answer if I could just think of it ! Thanks

easymoney
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
According to PHIL, who has a 35 Chevrolet standard coupe with 207 , the vintage air fan is pitched too much and will hit either the fan belt or the radiator, unless, the radiator is moved more forward into the rad shell.

Phil says the truck 4 blade fan with a stronger than stock car fan pitch is the way to go, 20 minutes and its in .

If your 34 truck is overheating you have other radiator cooling problems that need to be sorted. Look back into this section 33-36 and you will see many discussions with people having overheating problems.

mike Agrin

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Wouldn't just be easier to bend the fan blades to push more air?

ron
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Go ahead and bend those fan blades and see what happens.

mike

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Do not bend the fan blades!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I know you guys are right and I know you can cite numerous references of fan blades going through the radiator, hood, windshield, forehead, etc. but I've been bending fans blades for many years and I know just about every real old-time mechanic has done the same. Of course one has to use a little common sense but changing the angle of steel fans blades is not hard to do. Takes a little tweaking to get the angles and radia accurate but it can be done, even by an amateur like me. Ok, let me have it................

ron
MattD Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Phil,
I've searched and can't find a 33-36 truck fan. Do you know a source, where did you buy yours?
Thanks,
Matt

Matt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.