Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
nebilly Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I recently purchased a 1925 Chevy Superior Series V. The gas tank has holes in the end caps that are 1/4" x 1/2". I would like to find a new replacement or find the best way to restore it to last many more years.So if anybody knows of a company that makes reproduction tanks for that car or best way to refurbish it to last many many more years.
Bill

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Bill --

Tanks for most of the old Chevys of this vintage are pretty scarce, and nobody (as far as I know) is producing authentic reproductions.

It is possible for a good body & fender guy to piece in replacement pieces in your tank. Then you have to completely clean the tank (radiator repair places can boil it out with chemicals for you), seal it with special sealers, paint the outside and reinstall. Of course you can't be sure there aren't other areas about to rust through.

A better option might be to find a solid used one. They occasionally come up on ebay and you should also post in the "Parts Wanted" "1912-1928" forums here.

There have been lots of discussions on the topic here on Chevy Chatter. Just use the "Search" button at the top of the page and you can find them.

Hope that helps.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I know a shop here in the Tampa Bay area that will build your tank to exact specifications. I wanted the same thing, but the price was $800. Stainless was a lot more. Needless to say I couldn't afford it, but I believe the shop is still available and I'm quit sure it will be done right. It's called Dunrite Metal Fabricators 12099 44th Street North, Clearwater,FL 33762. (727) 299-9242
Redbird

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
There are some shops that can make almost any sheet metal part you need, however if you need to ask the price then chances are you will not be able to afford it.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I was working on a friends 1928 Fire Truck several years ago. I took the gas tank to a local radiator shop. They cut the ends our and welded new ends in. It looked almost original when finished. Might be worth a try.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
nebilly Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have found a very good used that has very little rust and at a fair price.
Thanks for all your help.
Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.