Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345974 06/27/15 12:19 PM
TeeZee Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello!

Let me start by saying that for some reason, when I tried to use the 'Search' function this morning, I received an error message telling me I could not use that feature, so I could not look up what I am about to ask.

So the question is: How hard is it to replace the motor mounts on my '48 Fleetline running the venerable 216? I believe my car has the original motor mounts and when I step on the accelerator, I can see the motor 'rock' a bit. Any help or suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Tony

Skinnin' my knuckles on a daily basis.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The two front mounts are under the front of the engine. The bottom bolts are accssed through holes in the front cross member. The top bolts are a little more difficult to get at so raise the engine after the bottom bolts are removed and it will give you a little more working room.
The two little side mounts are easy to do. They do not carry weight but just keep the engine stable.
If you have never replaced any of the mounts I can bet they are N.G.
The transmount carries the weight of the back of the engine and the transmission. It is probably grease and oil soaked an bad also.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 06/27/15 01:35 PM.

Gene Schneider
TeeZee Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chevgene. That was what I was hoping to hear. Just to be clear, when I remove the bolts that are located on the bottom crossmember, I should raise the engine a bit and then remove the top bolts? Where are the top bolts located? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Tony

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, place a jack under the engine with a block of wood between the top of the jack and oil pan. After yiu remove the bottom bolts jack up the engine as far as possibel You will see the bolts bolted to the engine front mounting plate. The bolt heads are pointing up.

Gene Schneider
TeeZee Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Perfect!

Thank you!

Tony

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.