Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I just bought a 28 Chevy Sedan that went into a Mississippi barn in 1963.I know NOTHING about these old 4 cyl. engines.
The PO poured transmission fluid into the spark plug holes last year,other than that it has not been touched..
The car has not been delivered yet but when it is,whats the 1st thing I should do? Then what??

In my teens, 20s & 30s I was a "stud muffin".
Now I'm just a muffin.

23rd Infantry.Chu-lai Viet Nam
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The car has not been delivered yet but when it is,whats the 1st thing I should do? Then what??

Pray

Take a bunch of photos, then more photos. Try to get everything recorded. You will need the photos later when you try to put something back together.

Don't be in a hurry to get it started and running.

Start making a list of items that you think you need.

Thank the powers that be for the wisdom in buying an old Chevy. And a 4 banger at that. See item 1

Does the engine turn over one revolution with spark plugs removed? When you drained the oil what came out? Water? Rusty? Gunk? If you take a finger (pinky?) and probe inside the drain hole what do you find? Sludge? How much? Thick? If you drag a bent wire around the hole what comes out?

If everything looks good then refill with 4 quarts of 10W-30 oil. Note the position of the distributor rotor (photo!) and remove the distributor. Spin the oil pump clockwise using a drill motor and slotted shaft (look at the bottom of the distributor for size of slot). Note (have someone else look at the gauge) if you have oil pressure? If so continue to pump oil for at least 1 minute. You will be filling the reservoirs above the main bearings so they will have oil when you rotate the engine. While you are at it remove the rocker cover and lube each pushrod socket and rocker with oil. A little oil down the pushrod is good as it lubes the lifters a bit.

Check radiator hoses and replace if questionable. You will need to replace them anyway so why not now. A 5/8" wide fan belt can be purchased from a hardware store (fractional HP) 41". While the belt is off lube the generator (a few drops in each oil cup), starter and water pump shaft next to the pulley. Slowly rotate the water pump and generator. If they move smoothly they are okay for now. If not check them closer.

That is enough for now. Let us know what you find. We can advise best way to get it started and running if all looks good.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
What a find!!

I totally agree with Chipper about approaching the engine but would like to put a spin on approaching the car in general.

My truck had been sitting for 40 years when I got it. I drained the oil and dropped the oil pan to take a look around. It looked good. ;-) Then, I poured Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and did not even attempt to turn it over for quite a while.

While the MMO was seeping around the pistons, I went around the truck and checked all the wheels, brakes, and lubricated everything I could find. My thinking was that I'd leave the engine to last. When the engine starts, I want to drive the vehicle!!

It worked out for the best. I found LOTS of things to fix in the wheels and brakes. I turned the engine over by hand after the MMO had been seeping for a number of weeks.

When I got the engine running, I took it out for a drive around the block. What a RUSH!

Good luck and keep us apprised with questions and progress.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with all, and have found two such machines in the last two years. Once you get it running, be patient, check the valve gap often, and give it time. My cars took a month of running (every other day) to “loosen up”. Keep your eye on the oil level and coolant temperature. And after all that, have fun and be prepared to hear some great stories from strangers at the ice-cream stand!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Get all of that old gas out of tank, lines, pump, etc.

Bob D.
1927 Coach "Matilda"
Susanville, CA
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I am sure it goes without saying but new spark plugs would be on my list. Also check for a good spark to the wires.

Good luck with it. It is very exciting to bring an old engine back to life.

Take care,
Tom

Owner of Classic Gauge and Cluster in Junction City, Oregon
Always a fan of Chevrolet's. It is in the blood line
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Bev_Bob
Get all of that old gas out of tank, lines, pump, etc.

Agreed, not much good going through all the effort and wonder why it will not fire.

Owner of Classic Gauge and Cluster in Junction City, Oregon
Always a fan of Chevrolet's. It is in the blood line
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Personally, I would drop the oil pan and clean everything out, including the oil pump screen. Sump gaskets are available and it is quite an easy job, even if a little dirty.

Al

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.