Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thought I would share this as I have never heard of it happening before. Bought a 28 Coupe. Little old lady only drove it to church on Sundays, etc. Supposedly complete rebuild. Had a good paint job, but once I began checking the undercarriage, obviously it had not been gone through, but I won't dwell on that.

Had the original Honey-Comb radiator checked, shop said it was in excellent condition, good flow, no leaks, I felt lucky and very happy. However; when I began to drive it, it would hit 200 degrees (I put a Stewart Warner Temp Gauge on it and verified it wasn't lying to me) within 3 miles. OK, obviously the radiator just wasn't doing its job. I had the engine apart and the cooling jackets in the block and head were perfectly clean. Called the coordinator for the tour we were booked on and said we would have to cancel as there was no way to get a new radiator in three days.

He said he had a newly cored radiator and come on down and we would install it before the tour. OK, we drove the 400 miles and swapped the radiator. Didn't do any good, it ran hot all 5 days of the tour but didn't boil over so we squeaked by. I hadn't checked for the water pump baffle as it was the first 28 I had done and didn't know about it. We all assumed it was probably missing, but not having a press to disassemble it decided to come back home at end of tour and check it out.

I pulled the water pump this afternoon, it has a baffle in it. OK, so now what do I do? Timing is correct, radiator is newly re-cored, block and head are clean, valve timing is correct, so what else can it be?? I turned the pump over to look more closely at the impeller and heard something rattle and then a blurred motion as something exited the inlet to the pump and dropped to the floor. Looked down to see a PECAN NUT lying on the floor. Dropped it back into the inlet and it nestled perfectly in the opening to the impeller and effectively blocks an estimated 90% of the water flow. Anyone ever have that happen??

Ron

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
So now do you try the other radiator? At least you found th e problem.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, I'm going to try the honey-comb radiator once more to see how it work when water is actually circulating.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Guess that means that the hole in the metal elbow that you showed us on the tour gave enough access to the cooling system for a critter to store a pecan or two. Lesson is if there are holes in the coolant hoses or tubes it might be wise to check for nuts or other rodent household (food, nesting or bedding) materials.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
That whole story is nuts !!

Al

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.