Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yellow is painters tape to protect paint until upholstery is complete.. Almost there!

[Linked Image from i1290.photobucket.com]

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Very nice. What was used for the door latch escutcheon?

Roger

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Only one original escutcheon was with the car. Couldn’t duplicate the stamped piece so I fabricated them from the original pattern. Close but no cigar!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Couldn’t duplicate the stamped piece so I fabricated them from the original pattern.

Very nice. What was used for the door latch escutcheon?

Roger

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Sorry missed that on my high speed pass! I used 20ga cold rolled steel as that is what the original measured out to. Then traced the pattern from the original and milled out three of them.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Can you show a picture of your original one? How many years does it fit? Do we know?

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
32 Confederate,
No idea what the original's looked like which was part of the problem for me. Someone hacked out some crude panels during an amateur restoration in the mid 60's. To be frank, nothing was done correctly. Because the original material did not hold up well it is next to impossible to find someone with true original interior for a 24 touring. I did my best to recreate these panels based on factory photos and more than 100 photos I have been able to put together over the last 8 years as well as talking to other car owners. I think it is as close as one can get with available information. The door panels should be the same for 23-25 for the open cars but again, it varies between manufacturing plants. Just like the wood used for the cars, I think it depends a lot on what was available at each plant. During the course of the restoration I asked a lot of questions but most went unanswered! I assume because there was very little documentation saved for these cars. Always open to someone who can shed some light on these old cars!
Cheers, tom

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Looks like a nice job you've done there. How did you go with the pocket on the driver's door? I've never seen one I believe to be an original one and would be interested to see what you have done there. I notice your tacks are positioned half on the binding and half on the panel. Mine were totally on the binding. Congratulations on your success.

Regards
Al

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Al,
Like the rest, couldn't find an original door pocket and no 2 alike in all my research. Copied to the best of my ability from a lithograph out of a 1924 parts manual and partially based on some photos of a 1922 490 that was believed to be original. Again, don’t know if it is 100 percent correct but it is as close as I can get. Will try and upload a photo shortly. Currently out of town attending a funeral and do not have access to my photos.
Cheers, Tom

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thank you Tom....completely understand the feeling when a question goes unanswered. The hard ones are hard because no one really knows or you have not over turned enough rocks yet.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
As promised, here is the drivers door panel with map pocket. Will upload all completed photos to projects soon. Yellow is protective tape.
Tom

[Linked Image from i1290.photobucket.com]

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Tom,
Looks very neat. I'm picking the outer part of the pocket is rigid and opens out via pleated sides, correct? I took some pics of a '25 that I thought was possibly original and the pocket didn't have the rigid outer. Anyway, nice job.

Al

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Al,
As no one could provide a photo of an original pocket I went with a photo I pulled from the 1924 Parts Manual. What you are looking at is a flap that covers the pocket. If you flat sew the pocket it is unusable and if you use side gussets it sticks out too much.
Tom

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Neat job anyway and as you say, I too have found it an impossible task to identify what is correct. Thanks for posting your pics.

Regards
Al

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.