Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#339177 04/04/15 02:35 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Anyone have any ideas on removing a stubborn wheel hub ? I want to inspect my brakes on my '32 and need to remove all wheels. It's unknown how long they've been on, but after some moderate banging with a wheel puller, no luck. I then tried Bill Barkers' trick of tightening the lugs on the stuck wheel, then jacking up the other side and pushing on the car to try to pop it off. No luck. Maybe I'm missing something. Hung up on the backing plate somehow ? A ridge in the drum from shoe wear ?

My puller has 3 gripping legs, not bolt-on legs, so I didn't push it for fear of damaging the lug bolt threads. I tried 2 steering knuckle pullers they don't fit over the center raised hub and the bolt pattern doesn't line up perfectly. Any ideas out there ? Heat, dynamite ?
I've heard tales of farmers removing the axle nut on their tractors, then go for an exciting ride on a bumpy road. I'm not at that point yet ! Close ! Thanks all.
bonk

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Assuming it is the drum you can't get off, how about heating drum with a torch?

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I used a slide hammer from HFT.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Yeah, the drum won't come off. I'm holding off on the OA torch. Afraid I'll do more damage than good. Maybe I'll soak with Kroil or Blaster for a few days.

What did the slide hammer attach to ? I borrowed one from NAPA but the attachment plate didn't fit.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Front or rear or all? For the rear loosen the axle nut a couple of threads. With the rear jacked up on stands start the car and put it in gear and intermittently apply the brakes. That is if you do not want to drive it a few feet in the driveway. With the steel drums I doubt any ridge exist. If the drum feels loose and springs back then yes its hanging up on the shoes and they need backing off.

Steve D
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks Steve,

Yes, I wanted to check all four. I started with the right rear but that's as far as I got. The snow's gone so maybe I'll back it out a few feet in the driveway tomorrow with the castle nut loosened. It sounds a little unnerving but what is the worst that could happen ? Just stomp on the brakes while underway a few times you say ? Maybe the farmer boys were on to something laugh

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
You only have to go a few feet back and forth a couple of times. When I backed the nut off on mine I left a space about the thickness of the washer. Leave the tires and wheels on when checking for looseness.

Last edited by m006840; 04/04/15 07:53 PM.

Steve D
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Success ! At the last minute before the driving trick, I decided to go see if my neighbor, a 6th generation dairy farmer, had a puller laying about. He came up with an ancient Blue Point hub puller with adjustable bolt-on legs. It fit my bolt circle perfectly ! Only took 2 small hammer taps and off it came. This puller weighs probably more than the entire wheel ! He hadn't used it in 45 years and it looked it. I cleaned it up, oiled it, and it worked great.
Thinking about what to do next now that I'm staring at the brakes. I'll save that for another post. Thanks all.
[Linked Image from i109.photobucket.com]

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
You certainly have the best of neighbors!

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.