Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stlbud Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
What do you guys use on your rubberized fabric top to keep it from shrinking? Mine seems to have shrunk with age and is actually pulling up the nails. What can I use to rejuvenate the fabric, so I can re-stretch and renail the fabric to the roof?

Has anyone tried the aluminum roof moldings from Filling Station FS RW-465?
Or, should I use the fabric strips that come with a new kit?

1931 4dr sedan.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Once the fabric looses its flexibility it is toast. Best to replace it with new fabric. Don't know of a way to replace the lost plasticizer.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
iagree

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Stlbud Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK. time for a new top kit then. At least the wood underneath is in good shape now - having reshaped a new rear main roof bow out of ash. What's a good kit to buy? And, any other advice from those who have done it. $$ (sound of cash register here)

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I buy my material from Model A parts suppliers. Much less expensive than others. Some will sell by the yard if you ask. They may only list kits for Model As which might not fit Chevys. They also sell padding. The fold-over aluminum molding is a bit tricky to bend around the corners. It needs to be sandwiched between boards for the bend. Is an accurate replacement.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
LeBaron Bonney Co. sells materials for both ford and chevy in addition to others thru their subsidiaries Hampton Coach and ABC Auto Upholstery. The owner from rumors I've heard are that he also is heavily involved in textile manufacturing and that the automotive enterprises are a small part of his enterprises. They cater to Ford, Mercury, Chevrolet and Buick.

Steve D
Stlbud Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Since the top is shot anyway due to age and you are making the right Choice to replace it, you can also experiment on the old one before you tear it off. Chemically you can not replace the lost plasticizers that have dried out but you can recoat the top with your own top dressing to fill in those old cracks and re-waterproof the old roof.
Use non-fiber asphalt roof cement, mix in enough Naptha thinner to thin it down to be able to brush it without showing brush marks. Add about 1/2% based on total weight of asphalt with Shell Flex 371 Plasticizer. You might get buy with cooking oil. Mix in and brush it on the old dried out roof.
It will soak in and rejuvenate the old roof. I used paint thinner the first time and it took too long to evaporate and dry. The roof is waterproof and functions until I restore the car one day.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Chipper

I noticed your comment above about the metal trim that goes around the fabric top. Do you have a model A supplier that has something close to the original?
The material from Lebaron isn't a good match to the original.
Bye for now
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.