Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#338218 03/27/15 09:36 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a 53 4dr Bel Air and it pulls to the left when I brake hard. On an easy stop there is no pulling. When I brake hard there is pulling. The drums have been turned, the shoes replaced and new wheel cylinders. Everything is clean and moves freely. The front end has been checked and properly aligned. There is no play in any of the joints or connections. Front end is solid. It is a very perplexing issue. In theory it should be braking very well. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening?

Paul
If it isn't broken, fiddle with it anyway so you have something to repair.
1931 Deluxe Sport Roadster
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Could be brake hoses, return springs, drums truned to different sizes.
Have you "centralized" the shoes? see page in shop manaul under "minor service operations, adustment - MAJOR"

If shoes are not equally centered the brakes will pull due to the self-energizing feature of Bendix brakes.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
you probably have checked but, tire pressure? wheel bearing adjustment? oil or grease on a shoe? My guess is the problem is in the R.H. brake.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
you could try swapping the drums from side to side, I've seen that cure the problem.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by StoveboltSteve
you could try swapping the drums from side to side, I've seen that cure the problem.

Whatever you do, regarding these suggestions, do one step at a time, or you'll never know what the fix was.

You may swap shoes, from left to right, as well.

Good luck and advise as to what fixed your issues. dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
That's it: I'm not driving in front of you this year… Agrin

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Last edited by brewster; 03/27/15 10:48 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Rather than brake issues, I'd be more concerned with the guy driving the gray Chevy, and taking pictures at the same time ! dance

Who is that driver ? willy

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
Have you "centralized" the shoes? see page in shop manaul under "minor service operations, adustment - MAJOR"

There is some very good advice from everyone (except Brewster) to look into, most of which I can follow the logic. However I am unsure of the brake hoses. How would that affect the braking? I will try one thing at a time to see if it fixes things. I will post what did and/or did not work.

Bob you are right, I should be concerned about the guy following me taking pictures instead of driving. However it is a nice pic of my tail lights.

Last edited by 1931Roadster; 03/28/15 10:54 AM.

Paul
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000

First the brake hoses should be replaced every 20-25 years just for safety reason as they can "blow-out".
As to uneven braking they also can collaspe internally restricting the fluid flow.

When the Bendix brakes cme out in 1951 we had a lot of pulling problems (in 1951-52 especially). One of the first things done as recommened by Chevrolet was to centralize the shoes. Chevrolet claimed we were the only area to have a problem and they blamed it on high humidity. Yet magizine roads tests from all around the country claimed the same problem. t seemed as these models aged the problem didn't show-up as ofen.

Also are the shoes installed correctly with the longer linings to the rear on both sides?

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by 1931Roadster
Originally Posted by Chev Nut

There is some very good advice from everyone (except Brewster) to look into, most of which I can follow the logic. However I am unsure of the brake hoses. How would that affect the braking? I will try one thing at a time to see if it fixes things. I will post what did and/or did not work.

Bob you are right, I should be concerned about the guy following me taking pictures instead of driving. However it is a nice pic of my tail lights.

Rubber brake hoses tend to deteriorate from the inside, first. That can cause a restriction in pressure to the wheel cylinder. As stated earlier, it appears your concern may be in the right front brake.

And yes, it is a very good pic of your car leaving Brewster in the dust...... camera and all. rolllaugh

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Would swapping drums side to side really cure the problem, or just make the car pull the other way?

I'm pretty sure that he's braking hard in that pic… you can see the car going to the left. We need to do something to get it going to the right, as I usually pass him on the left...

Last edited by brewster; 03/28/15 01:41 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
IF the drums are the problem , yes, it would pull the other direction.
If the drums are causing the pull it would most likely be because one drum in turned to a larger size than the other......providing the surface is the same for each drum.
If the drums were never turned I would doubt if that is the problem.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well Brewster is still behind me breathing in my tailpipe fumes. Well I tried all the suggested items and nothing cured my problem. But, I think I solved the problem. Last year the rear bushing on the pivot pin on the upper control arm was very loose, so much so that the knuckle support moved back and forth about a half inch. I thought at that time I would have to replace it, but just torqueing the bushing with 40 ft/lb appeared to be all it needed. The situation greatly improved. Yesterday with the wheel off and for no reason, I stuck a wrench between the knuckle support and upper control arm and to my surprise the knuckle support moved over. I again thought I would be replacing the pivot pin. As I was about to loosen the bolt on the knuckle support I had the thought that maybe it was loose, so I tightened the bolt and alas there was no movement in the knuckle support. Put the wheel back on and test drove the car and no sudden pull and I break hard. The car appears to be breaking nice and square. Now the left wheel locks up before the right but that appears to be fading as I drive the car. So problem may have been solved. Just thought I would update you as to how things were working out.

Paul
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.