Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Can I pull the pistons from my 1929 block, with the block still in the car, and if I get the pistons out, how do I determine what rings I need?

I had the head redone before I put the engine back in after restoration, but I skipped the block thinking it was OK ( Not my worst mistake). My current set-up has as low as 30lbs in two cylinders, and burns oil like a Studebaker.

Edit: I tried search but could not get any listings.

Last edited by CuChiRVN; 03/24/15 11:12 AM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Yes the pistons can be removed with the engine in the chassis. You will need to remove the cyl. head and the oil pan and push the pistons out the top. Check for a ridge on the top of the cylinder and remove it before attempting to remove the pistons. Once the pistons are out you will need to measure the cylinder diameter top and bottom, and front and rear and check the pistons for clearance. Once you know if the block is standard or the size bored you can order the correct rings or pistons and rings if needed. Also check the piston pin size as it's common to replace them if loose.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Yes you can pull the pistons out with the block in the car. Will need to remove the head as pistons come out the top. Will also need to remove oil pan to remove rod bolts. Once you accurately measure the cylinders you will know what if you can just re-ring it or need to have it bored.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you, that is the answer I was hoping for.

Ed

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
If the cylinders have taper and they need to be re-bored you will have to pull out the engine block to have the oversize boring done at a machine shop. In which case you will need new oversize pistons and matching rings.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Dog. I hope I can pull the pistons without removing the block, but whatever it takes.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Good luck and we hope that things stay at a minimum.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Check out the "Billy Possum Saga" stories on line.(I guess on Google, type in Billy Possum Saga) They drove a 29 Chevy all around the country and had the same situation. The articles,on line,have great pictures as well, and show these guys doing exactly what you describe. They also sell 29 parts.
Good luck.

David Nittler

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.