Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
As a newbie, wanting to play by the rules and post my first question to this section. Hopefully others are willing to assist a fellow Chevy enthusiast. I searched the 1941 and glass sections and did not find much help with the difficulty I am having putting the stainless reveal moulding on the back glass of my 1941, although I see others may have struggled too. I have also consulted the shop manuals for 1941 and Fisher Body and did learn some.

From what I see the rubber pinch weld seal I have from COT40's goes over the pinch weld lip in the window opening. The rubber seal is then supposed to fit inside the channel of the stainless moulding. Assume you push the moulding on over the seal once the seal is attached to the opening. This is not working well. The channel in the moulding is too narrow. Do I simply pry this open more to make it fit or I am doing something wrong? Then the moulding needs to fit inside the rubber pinch weld seal lip on the inside, which should also be interesting. Any tips to make this all work?

Also using the pinch weld seal it appears the moulding does not fit all the way back to the body line and there is a gap between the body and moulding, at least larger than what I would have thought and remembered when I took the car apart. Wish I would have finished this area a little better than I did.

I see in the 1940 shop manual they did not use a pinch weld seal and simply loaded the reveal moulding channel with sealant and pushed the moulding onto the window lip. Is this a better approach with other years?

I think I can expect the same type of issues when I move on to the windshield, so any advice here too would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys, it great to be at the assembly stage after a long ten year restoration road.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Steve,

Welcome to our chat site. Your topic has been rarely discussed yet seems fraught with a lot of frustration. I am also restoring a 41. I am doing the body work now so have not put my windows back. I did some searching on the chat site and found a few good posts. First, I would like to get you more familiar with out search process so here is a link to get started.

Searching for a specific topic

Using the above suggestions I searched the topic using the following keywords +glass +installation and used only the 46-48 Forum. This is what I found in the results. The article pertains to the front windshield, but its installation techniques should be similar.

1940 windscreen

Next I searched the 1937-42 Forum and found:

1940 Special Deluxe windshield

Both articles will provide you the names of experienced chat members on your topic so I would email them for advice or suggest that you even exchange phone numbers. You can do that by clicking in the heading MY Stuff at the top of the page. The first popup topic is Messages. Just follow the steps to post a Personal Message to people you wish to email. You get their email address by clicking on the top left of any of their posts where their chat name is posted, usually with a favorite picture. My picture shows my 77 Impala and 41 Master Deluxe. My screen name is Mike Buller.

Because you have not received many views of your post I suggest that you break all the rules (HUMOR) and post your question directly to the 37-42 Forum. Many more look at them there than at the New to Chat? - Questions forum. I also suggest you give us a little background introduction about yourself and your car. This will help us get to know you and your car.

Please feel free to call me, I enjoy visiting about my 41. I bought it off of ebay 13 years ago. I work on it winters and drive it the rest of the year.

Thanks for your post, and best wishes.

Mike
989-832-7634

Last edited by Mike Buller; 02/13/15 08:19 AM.

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Note that the 1940 models and the 1941 Master Deluxe did not have the stainless moulding around the back glass so owners of these models will not have a problem. Most of the problems arise because of using reproduction rubber and ofter it is not exactly the same as the original Usually thicker, harder and not 100% correct.
There is some info. in the 1946-47 Fisher Body manual.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello Steve and welcome to the VCCA Chat!

I've got a 1940 Chevy 4 door Master Deluxe Sport Sedan. I'm still trying to get my rear window installed. I tried for about an hour or so a while back and gave up. It is very hard to get the window close enough to the pinch weld and then pull the rubber lip over the pinch weld. I may need to get more hands to help.

How did you get your window in? Any tricks?

I wish you luck trying to get your reveal molding in. You may need to call chev's of the 40's or the "filling station". The Filling Station has a techy that can answer many questions. His name is Jerry, or most of the folks there can help sometimes.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Curt Kennedy

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Did you try using a thin rope between the rubber and pinch weld to get the rubber in place?

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello Chevgene,
Yes I did. I'm having trouble keeping the windshield pressed close enough to the pinchweld so the rope procedure will pull the rubber lip over the pinchweld.
I'm going to solicit some bigger arms to help. May try again this week.

Curt

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Well thanks to all that replied to my initial inquiry. I think I will repeat the same topic in the 1941 section to see if others will see it as suggested.

I did review the links that people were thoughtful to include. If anything it seems others have had this problem and I now have some contacts to reach out directly to and see how they solved it.

Appreciate your comments Gene, you always seem to have such good insight in previous replies I have seen. I too suspect the replacement pinch weld rubber is not exactly the same as the original. Wonder if there are other options out there that seem to fit better.

This being a Special Deluxe, I am first trying to get the stainless moulding in place with the pinch weld rubber. My understanding is after this I use the back glass rubber around the glass and set into the opening with some sealant. No rubber lip on this piece of rubber, but I understand it is difficult to compress it or push it in place and have the garnish moulding fit and line up with the screw holes.

Still looking for tips. I will be in the garage tonight to see what I can learn and maybe try another attempt.

Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.