Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#333473 02/05/15 02:17 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I noticed that Harbor Freight had a little steam cleaner in one of the recent sale ads. I had a 20% off coupon, and, bought one. I used it today on a big 4 foot diameter greasy spot on my garage floor, and, it did a decent job. My intention is to use the steamer on the engine and front suspension of my 48 to clean it up. Any precautions I should take while I try to steam the crud off? Yeah - I know about the open holes in the top of my valve cover. If I can get the engine block clean with this thing, I'm going to try to paint it with it in the car - either with a brush or spray cans.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
OE,

Sounds like you have a plan. It will be difficult to paint the engine in the car and still come even close to what you could do with it removed. Be that as it may, here are a few suggestions - all of them pretty obvious-:

a. Paint the valve cover with it off the car. Then put it back on when you paint the rest of the engine. Plug the vents.

b. Take the flywheel cover off and paint. Make sure the drip hole is clear.

c. Take out the crankcase breather. Plug the hole. It should be black.

d. Take off the starter and generator. Both should be black.

e. Take out the distributor, Plug the hole. Again black.

f. Take off the fan. Black.

g. Take off the carburetor and fuel pump. Black and natural, respectively.

h. Air cleaner. Off. Black.

i. Remove fan belt. Natural.

j. Remove all hoses. The center lower metal elbow - black.

K. Try to isolate the rest of the engine from the inner fenders and fire wall. I would take out the radiator. Easy and will give you better access to the front of the engine. When you try to get paint to the rear of the engine protect the firewall with a sheet of paper or thin cardboard.

Others probably will point out the things I missed. I admit that I have never tried to paint an engine while it was in the car.

I wish you good luck with it. Use the correct color (Industrial gray) or what Filling Station and Cof40s sells in a spray can. A paint brush will add to the difficulty.

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie:
Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. With my garage, there's no way I could get the engine out of the old girl. The engine is a light blue now - in spots. Whoever painted it obviously didn't get it clean before they shot it. Looks like the devil with lots of bare metal showing. If I steam it, the rest of the blue will probably come off. Anyway, when I get healthy again, I plan on having a go at it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.