Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I was out in the garage this evening, and, my 5 year old granddaughter came out. I had the hood up on my 48 Fleetmaster, and, she asked me to explain to her what all the stuff under the hood was. I got out a big stepstool for her to climb up on so she could see all the components under the hood. We then spent about an hour discussing how the engine and all the other stuff under the hood works. When we got done, she asked me if she could got to some car shows with me next Summer. My gosh - this little gal is one smart cookie. Her parents are both engineers, and, this little apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Hopefully, when she gets a little older, I'll have a nice assistant mechanic to help me.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I was out in the garage this evening, and, my 5 year old granddaughter came out. I had the hood up on my 48 Fleetmaster, and, she asked me to explain to her what all the stuff under the hood was. I got out a big stepstool for her to climb up on so she could see all the components under the hood. We then spent about an hour discussing how the engine and all the other stuff under the hood works. When we got done, she asked me if she could got to some car shows with me next Summer. My gosh - this little gal is one smart cookie. Her parents are both engineers, and, this little apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Hopefully, when she gets a little older, I'll have a nice assistant mechanic to help me.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Can't explain why we're up so late, but when a child shows interest in what you're doing ..... it puts a "better spin" on what you will continue to do, with her in mind.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Goes to show that some of the best moments with old cars can happen without being on the road. I have a 5 year old great grand daughter and she just loves to work in the "shop". Last year I was removing the seat in my 32 and she insisted on helping. I started the first bolt loose and let her finish. She then insisted that she didn't need help with the others. So I let her try thinking that I would have to start them and was amazed that she removed the next three with no help from me. Being able to spend time with her helping is as much enjoyment as I could ask for in this hobby.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by m006840
Goes to show that some of the best moments with old cars can happen without being on the road. I have a 5 year old great grand daughter and she just loves to work in the "shop". Last year I was removing the seat in my 32 and she insisted on helping. I started the first bolt loose and let her finish. She then insisted that she didn't need help with the others. So I let her try thinking that I would have to start them and was amazed that she removed the next three with no help from me. Being able to spend time with her helping is as much enjoyment as I could ask for in this hobby.

I think my Dad loosened bolts for me, without me knowing it, until I was 60. dance pipe

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
True words spoken!! My Dad left me when I was 50 and I have to agree with the old saying, "The wind never hits you fully in the face until your Father is gone".

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have to agree. My dad left me when I was 60. My mom is now 92, and, I'm managing her care and financial affairs. I hope Dad is looking down and smiling at the job I'm doing.

Regards:
Oldengineer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I have to agree. My dad left me when I was 60. My mom is now 92, and, I'm managing her care and financial affairs. I hope Dad is looking down and smiling at the job I'm doing.

Regards:
Oldengineer

You can bet your Dad is watching over you and your Mom.

Funny thing is, not trying to be corny here ..... I cannot imagine how caring and sensitive I now feel, towards the feelings and needs of others, since my parents passed away.

Before they passed away, I took way too much for granted, now I do not.

Tomorrow is promised to no one, as they say.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
OE,

You done messed up with your granddaughter. She doesn't need to know nothing about no old Chevrolet. Next time she follows you to the garage and starts being annoying, send her in to grandma with a note asker GM to show the child an iron and explain it use, a needle and thread and how to darn and make clothes, a range and how to cook, a washboard and how to clean clothes and a bed and instructions on how to make it up. Mercy! What are we a-coming to when we start having females interested in menfolk stuff? And, make sure that the next time you're in town to buy have a baby doll. One that wets and cries. These are formable years, make the most of them.

Now if its a grandson we're talking about, drag him out the garage and make him pay attention as you explain the functions and features of that old 48. Teach him how to change the oil and lube it. Pretty soon you will have yourself a helper mechanic who likes grease underneath his fingernails and dirt in his hair. Atta boy!

This here is the truth. There are too many females a-driving and poking their noses in where menfolks should be. Some of them even smoke and drink alcohol beverages. Some even show up in the locker rooms. Mercy!

Note: The above is just nonsense by me. I'm only joking. I was delighted by your tale of your granddaughter being interested in the old 48. I can only imagine the overexubeerance had it been a 41. Agrin Keep her interested and take her to a show when you can. That mush have been a wonderful moment for you and one you will always cherish. Thanks for sharing. And, thanks to the others who have posted similar stories.

Best,
Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie:

If I got this little lady figured right, she'll be out in the garage with MY Pretty Pony in one hand and a 9/16 combo wrench in the other. Now, you know I like 41s, but, my 48 is all dolled up with all that chrome. Naturally it'd appeal better to a little kid because it's so shiny. It's also got those stylish blue dot taillights and fat chrome tail pipe end. There's just no comparison with that beast of mine sitting out there on them big fat chrome wheels. Plus - now I got it where it'll go over 40 without anything falling off.(Fingers crossed)

Regards:
Oldengineer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.