Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Last year I installed a generic throttle cable and knob to get my hand throttle working on the 48. Tonight, I dug out the old 48 knob, and, figured I'd finally replace that ugly black knob on the dash. I figured out a slick way to get the old knob off its shaft. I clamped a pair of visegrips to the bottom end of the knob's shaft, and, heated the shaft about midway with a fat votive candle. In a couple of minutes, I was easily able to pull the old knob off the shaft. I then pulled the black plastic knob out and clamped my visegrips on its shaft so it was sticking out of the dash a couple of inches. I used my Dremel and a cutoff wheel to slot the knob down the metal shaft inside, then I was able to use a flat blade screwdriver to spread it and break it off. Luckily, with the shaft secured by the visegrips, when I pushed the original 48 knob on it fit nice and tight. Had it not, I'd have used some epoxy glue to secure it. Now, all my knobs match again, and, I got her done in less than 30 minutes. Hope this helps some of you.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Last edited by Oldengineer; 01/18/15 01:52 AM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Good job, I need to do the same on my 48. But what is a fat votive candle? Sounds like a good idea!

Ed
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Oldengineer,

Thanks for the well written explanation of your helpful hints. We all need to do a better job of sharing our solutions to problems.
You get the AWESOME AWARD for the day. parking

Thanks, Mike

For others needing to replace damaged knobs Chevs of the 40's sells them. They are held on by set screws. Has anyone used them?

Mike 41 Chevy
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Uncle Ed:

Its just a short fat candle like they use at church in the glass containers. I had it sitting on my wooden work bench while I heated the shaft, and, I didn't want to get wax on the work bench top. You could use one of the fancy Yankee candles, and, smell good when you get done fixing knobs - if you want:0)

Regards:
Oldengineer

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mike:

On my car, the PO apparently bought complete replacements (knobs, sheath, and wire) for both the choke and throttle. He got the choke unit replaced ok. On the throttle, he couldn't figure out how to hook it to carb, and, he rolled up the wire into a bundle and wire tied it out of the way. When I went to straighten out the wire he had rolled up, it broke off to the point where it was too short to get the job done. That's how I ended up with a generic knob and cable. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I sometimes really get creative with my repairs to the 48. Tonight I fixed the loose "Blue Dots" on my tail light lenses with clear bathtub caulk. Didn't want water getting into my tail light assemblies.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.