Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#328719 12/19/14 07:24 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Anyone have a picture of the side mount spare tire lock on the '34-'35 1/2 ton truck? I can find it listed in the parts book but no picture. There's a metal bracket on the outside of the well that has a horizontal slot but don't know what the lock assembly looks like.

ron
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Greencorn,

Here are 2 photos of the spare and mount on my '36FB. I don't know if they are exactly the same as a '34-'35, but I also have the lower strap with the horizontal slot on the outside and a longer one with a hole on the inside, but I really don't know their purpose (maybe to secure a cover?).

[Linked Image from i292.photobucket.com]
The key lock assembly is at the top of a rod mounted thru the fender to the fender support. When the lock is opened it releases the lock assembly from the rod, and you can then remove the upper hold-down and remove the spare tire from the wheel well.

[Linked Image from i292.photobucket.com]

Hope this is of some help, if not send me a PM. My address is in my Users file.

1936 Low Cab Pickup
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks very much Wino. Looks like an original assembly. I don't want to lock my spare (I know I'd loose the key),just wondered what that bracket and slot is at the botton. I was thinking there must have been some other kind of strap or lock that slipped into it. Seems like there's a part number but no picture.

ron
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Now that I look at the pictures more carefully it looks like there must have been a rod or flat that slipped in from the back, through the wheel and through the slot on the outside, a lock could then be used. Thanks.

ron
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I was bidding on a lock on EBay a few years ago that latched into the slot on the outside of the bracket and went threw the wheel with a rod to the inside of the bracket. It was an NOS Chevrolet lock and I dropped out when the price went to $200 and I believe that it went to $750.

1936 GMC T-14 low cab. TA for 1935-37 GMC, Director of the Gulf Coast Region
dunfire #328849 12/21/14 03:03 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
This is the lock I have on my 36 Pick Up. It may be what you are referring to?
[Linked Image from i645.photobucket.com]
Hope this helps.
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
That is exactly the lock that I was talking about. They are far and few between from what I have seen.

1936 GMC T-14 low cab. TA for 1935-37 GMC, Director of the Gulf Coast Region
dunfire #328952 12/22/14 09:57 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Since they were an accessory, during the Great Depression years, you don't see many of them. I found mine on Ebay, a number of years ago, at a good price. My truck is worth more by the piece than as a whole!
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Greencorn,

The one on Wino's PU is a generic lock to cover the nut on any threaded rod. I have that exact lock on my trailer's propane cylinders and I bought it some time after 1983, the year I bought the trailer. They are probably still available and inexpensive.

The one on PU Guy's PU is the actual part that was a Chevy accessory. The pricing commentary reminds me of how I got mine. In the early years of VCCA there was a member named Walt Cochrin who was a swap meet regular and a very helpful and knowlegable guy. I asked him if he had a spare tire lock and he told me he'd have to look. It turns out he had one, NOS, and the price he charged me was $15. It was an extraordinarily rare part even back in the early 1970s when I got it but Walt wanted only to double his money. How times have changed.

I have an amateur machine shop at home so I made a knurled brass ring to go around the outer end to fancy it up but keep an antique appearnace.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.