Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#326502 12/01/14 06:40 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey everyone.
Ive got an old Bay City 2 Jet that I put on a 305 (kindof a Frankenstein engine) and I'm needing some information on tricking it out a bit. Specifically the jets. I've heard Quadrajet jets will work, but I have my doubts on that seeing that its a 2 jet and not a dual jet. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old school's the way to go
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I've never heard of such an animal. Is it an aftermarket carb? Photos and/or casting numbers may help others chime in. Do you have any handy?

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I've had a few of late 60s or early 70s that had the Bay City two barrel carb. Not one of the best tend to hesitate on acceleration if they are not set up 100%.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Its a stock carb. Just a big two barrel. It does't do bad on hesitation, just wnating to play with it more than anything. My old man used to use them on his circle track cars and drag truck so I know it can be done. Unfortunatly hes not around to ask. Ill have some pictures of it tonight.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bay City,Mi carbs were an over flow supplier to Rochester.They are simply an OEM back up supplier.I've had 3 of these BC 2bbl's and I don't think they are as good as the Rochester units.The castings look rougher,imo.

alftoben,I think you're referring to the larger Rochester/Bay City 2 bbl's that came on the 396/265hp and the 70-75 400 2bbl engines.These had a larger cfm rating and larger venturi surface area's. The larger 2GC/2GV's are popular with alot of the dirt/oval track racers due to the rules.

I've modified a couple of my Rochester 2bbl's by opening up the stock jets by one size using wire guage drill bits.I sized the correct fit into a stock jet then went up to next guage drill bit and drilled them out.Also,slight float adj to compensate.Also a slightly taller accel pump helps.Of course use a big open element air cleaner set up.
But honestly,I don't think it's worth doing to a 305 sbc if keeping the stock heads,cam,etc.. My experiences,Jim

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Well its different stock 305 stuff thrown together. 305 vortec block with 305 ho comaro heads from the 80s, the matching 2 barrel aluminum gm intake and a class one performance melling cam made to optimize low end torque. I built it for a hot rod and ended up needing an engine for my old truck so it went into my 76 k10 kindof on the fly. Im really satisfied with the engine in that big of a truck it actually pulls plenty of power and still gets 18 to 20 mpg in an all time 4wd. Yes i do believe that is the one youre talking about off of the 400s and the big blocks. It does a good job but a little more fuel would not hurt.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Daryl Scott
I've never heard of such an animal. Is it an aftermarket carb? Photos and/or casting numbers may help others chime in. Do you have any handy?

Hi Daryl,
I've had 4 Bay City Rochester 2bbl Chevy's over the years.Everyone had a Bowtie stamp with a BC in the center of it.
The Rochester produced carbs do not have this.
The BC Bowtie is right on top of the carb next to fuel inlet.
I wish they'd let us post pics in these replies.I have a great pic of this from my 76 Impala. Jim

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I wish they'd let us post pics in these replies.I have a great pic of this from my 76 Impala. Jim

Please elaborate a bit on this problem.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by AntiqueMechanic

Please elaborate a bit on this problem.

Agrin devil

I can't figure out how to put a picture in,for example,this post.
It seems that I can only put pictures into the member's photos section.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

You have the proper authority to wade around in the member's area. What you need is to spend some time in the FAQs and study the one on posting pictures.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Ray I'll hit the members area FAQ see what I can dig up!

Originally Posted by AntiqueMechanic
You have the proper authority to wade around in the member's area. What you need is to spend some time in the FAQs and study the one on posting pictures.

Agrin devil

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by jimpala70
Hi Daryl,
I've had 4 Bay City Rochester 2bbl Chevy's over the years.Everyone had a Bowtie stamp with a BC in the center of it.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for shedding some light on this subject. I learned something new today and that's why I love this hobby. So no Rochester markings on them at all? I know Edelbrock also made up some Rochester Q-jets with OEM castings...did they sell / lease the rights for certain models they didn't want to make or couldn't make enough of?

Pictures show up in posts if you use a third-party image hosting service such as Photobucket, Flickr or ImageShack. You'll have to copy the URL and paste it using the "Enter an image" link on the top of the chat window. (I think this is done to save bandwidth?) Its a little clunky but it works.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bay City carbs were basically a 2nd resource or sub-contractor supplier for Rochester.GM didn't care as long as the carbs were built to the GM/Rochester contractual specs,imo.

Much like GM used McKinnon Industries when Flint Engine couldn't handle demands for SBC's or was tooling for next model year changes.I had a McKinnon Industries 350 sbc in a late in the model year built 70 Impala.Excellent engine.

Originally Posted by Daryl Scott
Originally Posted by jimpala70
Hi Daryl,

Hi Jim,

Thanks for shedding some light on this subject. I learned something new today and that's why I love this hobby. So no Rochester markings on them at all? I know Edelbrock also made up some Rochester Q-jets with OEM castings...did they sell / lease the rights for certain models they didn't want to make or couldn't make enough of?

Pictures show up in posts if you use a third-party image hosting service such as Photobucket, Flickr or ImageShack. You'll have to copy the URL and paste it using the "Enter an image" link on the top of the chat window. (I think this is done to save bandwidth?) Its a little clunky but it works.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (wesb), 80 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,072
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.