Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi my parents pick up a 1935 Chevy master a few months ago it has a 207 motor mostly stock they been driveing it on the weekend a lot like 140+ miles over the weekends they took it out lasts weekend and it shut off on the freeway I went over to try and see what happened check the fuel I thought the fuel pump when out took off pump by hand work re install it took the valve cover off ask them to crank it over valve didn't move so it has to be cam gear but it was leaking more oil was also could has went wrong I have not took it apart yet Just wanted to know what to look out for

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The most common engine failure on an old Chevrolet is the timing gears. Part is caused by the lack of oil to the gears. The oil is gravity fed from the front cam bearing to a milled slot on the back of the front mounting plate and drips out of a little nozzel above the timing gears. The slot fills with sludge and the gears run dry and then strip the teeth of of the fiber gear.
To replace the gears it will be necessary to remove the grille shell/radiator, balancer, timing gear cover, fuel pump, lifters (put them back in the same hole), and slide out the cam. A new gear needs to be pressed on and the steel crankshaft gear should also be replaced. The oil return holes on the bottom should be checked to see if they are full of sludge....see shop manual for front plate removal.....oh yes, the distributor needs to be removed also.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yep..... from what you describe, it sure sounds like a defective cam gear.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Any chance of bent valves or pushrods when the gear goes while driving?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, that could happen also but not so common on a 207 engine.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.