Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#316491 08/22/14 11:42 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1931 Coach and need to remove interior door and window handles to get inside door. How do I remove these handles, do I need special tool? Also once I get handles off how is interior door panel attached to door frame and what is recommendation for removal.

Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Handles are secured to splined shafts using a standard spring steel "C Clip", which normally requires a special tool, but can be removed with a couple of carefully inserteed pointy tools. They pop off when tools get right spot, so careful not to lose the clips, which are sold through several suppliers. Original panels were nailed in place using a blind nailing technique, i.e. the common head nails were nailed through the fabric of completed panel until almost fully seated, and then fabric stretched/pulled over nail head to hide nail. A final tap to fully seat the nail might be needed after nail is hidden.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have removed the "C" clips from the door handles using either a small, thin, flat-bladed screwdriver or an ice pick. I have had great success with both.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The hardest part is finding the clip after it flies across the garage!
Sid

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
In order to see this clip just push the escrutcheon plate into the fabric and you will see the clip in a slot in the shaft of the crank.

BUY AMERICAN KEEP AMERICANS WORKING

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.