Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#314969 08/07/14 01:10 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Update on dome light issue, on my '31 sedan, no bulb, thought I would check the power to the light and there is none, nor to the switch on the pillar. Where is the starting point in this circuit ? I checked the wiring diagram and it is not on there, I would think that it would be continuously powered, is this correct? Or is it switched by the key or head light switch? Thanks for any help on this issue.
Paul

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Don't know why the wiring for the dome light isn't on your 1931 wiring diagram. The wiring for the dome light is on my 1931 wiring diagram. The dome light is powered directly from the dome light switch, even with the electrolock in the off position.

The dome light wire comes from the back of the headlight switch. The other wire from the dome light goes to one side of the dome light switch on the door pillar. The wire on the other side of the dome light switch goes to ground.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Skip,
I just checked the '31 wiring diagrams that are in the Technical area and they don't show a dome light wire on them either.

--Bill

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Interesting that the post switch goes to ground, does the light switch have to be on for power to the dome light? Will check this circut out today, thanks for the info guys!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have two complete 1931 Chevrolet wiring diagrams and the dome light is shown on both of them.

According to the wiring diagram, the dome light is hot all of the time (like the horn) but it only works when the dome light switch is on. When the dome light switch is turned on it grounds the dome light so that the dome light will light up.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My question was does the headlight switch have to be in the on position to power the dome light.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Junk Yard Dog can you share the source of your wiring diagram. I can not find it as well.

Thanks Don

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
It is in my National Service Manual.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
My question was does the headlight switch have to be in the on position to power the dome light.

From the post above:

the dome light is hot all of the time (like the horn) but it only works when the dome light switch is on.

As stated previously, the dome light is hot all of the time which means that the light switch does not have to be on for the dome light to work.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I went back and reread the thread, power from the light switch, that I do not have, no power to the pin in the socket, but did not see any spare wires under the dash, I do have continuity to the pillar switch from the light base, but the wire to ground from the pillar switch does not have continuity to ground, does it attach at the post or travel to some ground point under the side panel. Really hate to start removing upholstery trimmings, such a bummer, bonk
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

Last edited by PaulK31SpecSedan; 08/08/14 12:54 AM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The ground wire goes from the dome light switch to the metal panel above the windshield on the passenger side and it is soldered at that location. The ground wire is hidden under the trim on the door pillar and also under the headliner.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Did you test the Pillar Switch and see if you get 0 ohms when you do a continuity check to ground? Maybe you don't need to follow the ground wire.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am sorry Junk Yard Dog where can I locate your National Service Manual? Can you provide a link.

Sorry Thanks

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Pillar switch is good, just no continuity to ground, just another thing for the list yipp

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
National Service Manuals are very hard to locate and I have no idea who would have one. The last one I saw for sale (it was at a swap meet years ago) the seller wanted $350 for the manual. I haven't seen one for sale for years.

You might try eBay, or a swap meet. You can also try a search on Google as well.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.