Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#315018 08/07/14 02:34 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1931 Couch and the car was repainted. Unfortunately they painted over the hood lace on the fire wall side. I know I can replace it but before I pull the painted lace off how is it attached? I can not tell without pulling it off just want to know before I start.

Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The correct lace comes threaded over a piece of heavy stiff wire. The wire is fed through holes in the cowl (4 holes on each side, two at the top near center of the car and two at the bottom)and then doubled back on itself and cut off. There is a threaded j-hook about halfway between the top and the bottom which is hooked over the hoodlace and tightened from inside the car to both center the hoodlace in the groove provided for it and to tighten it up after the wire at both ends is secure.

To remove the lace, back off on and remove the j-hook from inside the car, then cut the wire at each end with cutting pliers.

The correct replacement hoodlace with the inserted wire is available from the Filling Station (Part Number FS-285) and other suppliers. They also sell the j-hooks as Part AF-277.

Note that if your hoodlace had been replaced at some point, it is unlikely to be the type described above.

Hope that helps.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Chip #315060 08/07/14 10:43 PM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I think that someone posted on this site that the hood lace has been discontinued.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Steele Rubber also has the hood lace. you need to specify the lace with the hole in it to accept the wire. Don't ask me how I know... 5/8 wide

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.