Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1931 194 and what to replace points and condenser. My question is how do you remove the armored electrical cable coming in from the fire wall side to get to condenser and points. Also what are the spec's for setting points.

Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The points are set at .018" with a dwell of 36 degrees.

There is a rectangle nut that is on the end of the electrolock terminal stud that the points connect to inside of the distributor. A special electrolock tool was used to remove the rectangle nut so that the points could be changed. If your distributor still has the original rectangle nut, remove the three 8-32 screws that are on the outside of the distributor housing that holds the breaker plate in place. Tilt the breaker plate down and with a pair of needle nose pliers unscrew the rectangle nut. After you replace the points, do not replace the rectangle nut but use a 10-32 hex nut instead. Put the breaker plate back in place.

With the 10-32 hex nut you will no longer need to tilt down the breaker plate to replace the points and you can use a standard small open-end ignition wrench to remove the nut.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Removing the condensor is a challenge. It has a closed end fitting that goes over the electrolock cable and isolated by various fibre and such washers. There is a diagram of these complex array of about 8-10 pieces which need to go back together in a very precise order. Some people just cut the wire leading to the condensor and splice on the new one with a shrink wrapped connection. A tricky thing to replace, but with the proper diagram showing the order of the many spacers, washers and insulators, job is fairly straight forward.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Counting the point spring and the condenser eyelet there are 12 individual pieces that connect the electrolock to the distributor and they all must be in the proper order.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Wondering if anyone has pictures of the electrolock connection to distributor. Went to car show about 30 miles from home car ran fine. Started up fine to go home drove 3 feet car died. After checking number of things found moving electrolock connection at the distributor car fired up and got home fine. Shorting out in there somewhere. Pictures of this would be greatly appreciated. My car is a 1930 sedan.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I've had great adventures with mine shorting out. Mine's an aftermarket electrolock. When I pulled on the spark knob, sometimes the connection would kink (from twisting motion of the dist) just enough to stop me dead. This my temporary fix, rubber gas line "bushing" with the the condenser wire attached outside the body held fast under pressure from 2 inside hex nuts. Not a recommended fix but it's getting me through the summer until it all goes down to JYD for a rebuild with the original electrolock later this year.
I still have 3 one hundred mile tows left on my AAA, so not too worried carbana
[Linked Image from i109.photobucket.com]

If it ain't brokeā€¦..fix it 'til it is.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
hhrshark: The 1929-32 Chevrolet parts book has illustrations all of the indivdual parts needed for connecting the electrolock to the distributor. Also, do a search here on Chevy Chatter since there has been detailed discussions in the past on what parts are used to connect the electrolock to the distributor and in what order.

hardaground: From your photo it looks like you are missing the electrolock terminal cup and other related parts as well.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I do not have parts book. I will try to find one online or see if I can buy one on filling station. I have search here but could not find pictures of all parts that connects electrolock to distributor. Thanks

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Filling Station does have a reprint of the 1929-32 parts book so you might want to get one since the book contains a lot of needed information.

I think (from what I remember anyway....and that is no guarantee) in one of our discussions here about the electrolock there was a photo or illustration showing some of the parts . You will probably have to do a major search on Chevy Chatter to find it.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I believe that there are a couple of G&D aticles that address this. My notres say 1961 has detailed view.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
The articles are available in the MEMBERS area of the VCCA membership site. http://vcca.org

And, Canadian members have a special "electronic" e-membership that is available (and much cheaper) to them. Check it out at this location.

Join immediately and pay online HERE

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks to all who have answered my question. And I will look into this e-membership.
Already ordered parts book from filling station. Sure it will come in handy more then once.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Let me know if you join and I'll modify your permissions here on Chat so that you have additional access and post photos easily.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.