Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#308881 05/25/14 03:48 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I previously posted about my problems starting and operating my '38, after roughly 2 years of sitting idle in the garage. Advice here was to clean the fuel system.
So, I have removed my gas tank It cannot be original; it is in too good of a condition.
I have put several handfuls of driveway rock (crushed limestone, I think) inside and shaken it all out.
My research dictates a 2nd cleaning, this time with muriatic acid. I have read the posts and all the cautions about safety issues.
So, here we go: there's a plastic tube in the bottom of the tank, running to the port where the fuel line attaches. I removed the brass fitting that held the fuel line, but the plastic tube stayed right where it was. Will the muriatic acid hurt that tube? I intend to dilute the acid, to a 1:10 acid to water solution.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
As a followup, I tapped that plastic tube. Turns out, it's metal. So, just chalk up one more mistake on me.
I do wonder how I'll use the Redkote sealer, whether I'll somehow need to plug that tube's bottom end temporarily, so it doesn't get gummed up.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It must be a different tank from the OEM tank on my coupe. My coupe drains straight out the bottom of the tank, no tube. I used Redkote on mine with good results. I bought a gallon so it would spread more evenly. I put the unused volume in a sealed container for any future use.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
My coupe drains straight out the bottom of the tank, no tube.

The tube that "glovebox" is talking about is the dip tube that is on the inside bottom of the tank that connects to the fuel line at the top of the tank that goes to the fuel pump.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That's right. My tank also has a drain plug in the bottom, but that's not the issue. It's the one junkyard dog mentioned. So, is there a risk that the redkote will obstruct that tube opening?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.