Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#308395 05/18/14 09:15 AM
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My 31 4dr sedan needs lower outer panels.on the front doors
has anyone used the 2dr panels to repair the 4dr cars from the f/s.

Wake up to learn something new everyday.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I used their 2-door patch panels (including their soffit pieces)recently on my '31 Coach. As you may notice the door skin has a compound curve which is not duplicated on the repo patch panels, but they do have the curved bottom profile close to matching rocker panel. So you will need to do some work to get everything to make a reasonable fit. Just a matter of trimming a few inches off one end and folding over end to match your door. I bought mine direct from their supplier (they were out of stock at FS at the time), and he made them 7" wide at my request, but in the end I only trimmed about 4-5" off the door. To fit mine, I borrowed some special pliers which put a 1/32"step in original sheet metal, and then used pop rivets to get everything fitted as neat as possible (don't have welding gear). Once everything was close, and any other patching done (I also had to use their repair panels on cowl) I took car to my body man who zipper welded the seams and used steel body filler to get final profile. No one could ever tell they were fixed, and by me doing all the fitting his job was easy.

Last edited by Gunsmoke; 05/18/14 03:48 PM.
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks gunsmoke the body shop helping did a nice job on the cowl themselfs,i think just getting the thickness right will help them my doors are realy nice,the bottom edge is complete,i think a little time on english wheel and they can work it out,thanks again

Wake up to learn something new everyday.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.