Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
akdale Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Any recommendations for Glue/Sealer around the perimeter of the vinyl? The instructions say that some installers use a sealer, and some don't. There is a product called Pliobond 20 that I used to use when gluing the anti chafe strips on the boot cowl and nose bowl of Super Cubs. Good contact cement that is fuel proof and does not deteriorate with heat in the engine compartment. I am sure that it could withstand the summer sun under the black top....
Dale

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I used a black mono type caulking, a good quality one which is easy to clean up and stays pliable when set. You don't want something that sets up hard, or quickly, as installing roof fabric takes some time. By using black product, any residue left does not show. My car was a '31 with the fabric on top only (nothing down sides), finished with a metal trim piece. '29's are a bit different so someone may suggest no product at all.

akdale Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks,
The 29 has no fabric down the sides either. Just for the roof opening.
I found a product called Flexible Seal that I used to use below the water line on my old 32 ft. wooden boat. Worked great and lasted for more than 15 years in the extreme Alaskan climate. Maybe I'll go that route.
The stuff is like SH** er.... crap, It gets all over everything if you are not extremely careful. MEK is used for cleanup.
Dale

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I used the 3M polyurethane black caulk on 2 of my cars. It works great. I also sealed the vinyl fabric with a mixture of non fiber asphalt diluted with mineral spirits. All you do is brush it on and it soaks in. It takes a few days to dry so park it in the sun so the mineral spirits evaporate. You don't slather it on like sealing a driveway. You dilute it down 2 parts mineral spirits to 1 pars asphalt roof coating. You don't want brush marks. Use a cheap natural bristle disposable paint brush. One coat is all you will need.
Ford Model A suppliers once sold a roof coating. Due to shipping hazardous materials, it is no longer offered.
I know it sounds crude but it waterproofs your vinyl top so It doesn't get moldy if it were ever to get wet and it looks great.
Try it on a scrap piece of vinyl and test it for water repellency before you do your car so you feel comfortable with the performance and look.
The vinyl used on rooftops from Hampton Coach and Mac's or the fabric store is not water proof.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.