Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#307893 05/11/14 07:55 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
1948 216, all stock engine - Ran the engine today with the valve cover off just to see how much oil was getting to the top end. It took what seemed like a long time before I got visible oil at the rockers. Once it started "flowing", it was only a small "seep" out each hole, like maybe a drop every minute or two, if even that. Also got maybe a drop every minute out the overflow tube. Oil pressure reads around 10# at slow idle with engine fully warm, would rise to about 20# at a faster speed (similar to my other 216 on another car). I know the rocker bushings don't need a lot of oil, but this seemed like it wasn't much. Q. Is this normal for a stock 216? Should more oil "flow" than this small amount? Anyone have another observation for comparison? Thank you.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
It sounds a little slow. How much oil was coming out of the end of the overflow tube in the center? How hot was the oil?
If a steady stream was coming out of the overflow, oil hot, and not too heavy a grade the rocker arm shafts may be plugged with sludge.
Years ago back yard mechanics used to crimp the over flow tube shut forcing all the oil to come out of the rocker arms. For me that would be a last resort.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I had the same concerns on my `40 and I went ahead and took apart the rocker shaft-tube....I was shocked at how much hard carbon and gunk was in there and the extent of the oil holes plugged up. Made a BIG difference in oil flow.....

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
A large flow of oil isn't necessary in order to lube the rockers and shaft on these old engines, as long as every moving part gets enough oil to be kept wetted (there isn't a lot of high speed revolving parts in the valve train), unlike the high pressurized systems of the later engines where there ia a great deal of oil being squirted out into the valve covers.

The accumulation of gunk and sludge was a common problem before the advent of high detergent oils. Usually the engine needed several valve grindings during the life of the engine, and cleaning the rockers etc. was done at the time the valves were ground. The carbon accumulated in the oil as gunk and sludge and deposited anywhere there was minimum splishing and splashing.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.