Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#306879 04/28/14 07:58 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My speedometer needle just started bouncing erratically. Other symptom is a loud grinding noise when this occurs. I removed, cleaned and lubed the cable but symptoms still exist. I suspect speedo needs to be checked out next. Can i remove speedo without removing entire gauge cluster? Any advice on cleaning/lubing speedo is appreciated.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Speedo is removable from gauge cluster by disconnecting the light socket, speedo cable and attaching fasteners.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by drlenn
Speedo is removable from gauge cluster by disconnecting the light socket, speedo cable and attaching fasteners.

Can be done while the cluster remains in dash IF you are flexible and have small hands... Disconnecting the brake and clutch pedals under the car so they drop to the floor gives you more room to twist around under the the dash.

Richard
Waverly, IA
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for all replies. It is very tight to crawl under the dash but I was able to snake my arm up in the general vicinity of the speedo and snap a few pics with my dmaetphone. It looks like there are three slotted screws (in a triangular pattern) which need to be removed. I would post a pic of my findings if I could figure out how to do that from this phone.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Let me know if you need another used 1940 speedometer. I have one or 2 good used ones for sale.

dtm

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.