Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello All,
Have you ever wanted to install an option on your vehicle that wasn't available for your model year? Well, I like the look of the 1928 Moto Meter, but I have a 1931 Coach. What to do? The 1930 and prior radiator caps are the screw on type, where as the 1931 and later have the bayonet type caps. I asked the Filling Station if they knew of any modifications that would mate the Meter to a bayonet cap, but they did not know of any. I guess that leaves me to figure something out myself ( kind of frightening I know ). The Filling Station has the parts and I have the tools. How about I purchase a VT-28 Meter and a GR-199 radiator cap, drill out the cap and bayonet to accept the Meter's threaded shaft and screw the assembly together with a touch of gasket sealer around the hole and maybe double nut for security. If it fails, I'll mount it on a nice piece of hardwood and place it on the mantel. I still have my stock radiator cap. What do you think, nuts or what or should I just buy a 1928 Chevy with a Moto Meter?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Nuts!! bigl

I would suggest purchasing a 1928 Chevy with a Motometer. yay

Actually, I have seen Motometers installed on the later Chevrolet flat bayonet type of radiator cap so it can be done.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I think you could do exactly what you're thinking about. The only problem might be cutting the bayonet in half to make a hole larg enough for the Moto Meter. It can be done and it is your car.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
IMHO, I'm not sure the motometer on a '31 (or later) car will look appropriate. As cars became more streamlined and cleaner lined after say 1929, hood ornaments became part of the styling exercise. The motometer with it's straight-up utilitarian look seems more suited to pre '30 cars. Just my thoughts, the '31 Viking looks very nice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.