Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#304243 03/25/14 07:21 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm getting ready to install new wood in the roof of my 32, 4 door sedan. I have all the books that are helpful. My question is can the the bows and side rails (everything but the slats) be put together then put in place? This seems like a good plan as the entire car is striped out. Any thoughts out there or has anyone tried this?

Thanks for any help as the resto continues.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
When I was taking my 32 4 dr apart, I removed the entire roof as an assembly (2 people makes it alot easier). I took the assembly out thru the top. Hope this helps.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the info. When you put it back I assume you did the reverse? Thanks again for the info.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I've been re-assembling my '31 sedan for about 16 months. I was told to use old fashioned cloth electrical friction tape on most all of the interfaces between wood or steel brackets and the steel body skin as well as other places. So far it's working really well - great stuff. Home Depot, Grainger and good hardware stores still sell it. I'm using 3M brand.

Good luck,

Happy Motoring!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I'm also reassembling my wood in my 32 and I'm also using the cloth friction tape as well as 15 lb roof felt.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I spoke to Jim Rodman about friction tape and he told the best way was to use a spray on liner protector (rubber type) that you can buy almost anywhere. He says this is the method and the workers of the past would have loved the stuff. It works and stays in place for ever. The only draw back is make sure its completely dry before you put the parts together. It the best super glue you can get.

That's taking advice from a man that's been at this for a long time. So he ought to know. I put my money on Jim. He's a wealth of knowledge.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Quick question from the original post, regarding the helpful books replacing on the wood. What book are out there for tech advice on replacing the wood and re-securing the steel body to it. I need to do this for a 32 and am having some difficulty

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
About the only book out there on wood is the 1926-31 Fisher Body Manual. Purchase the 1932 Fisher Body Manual supplement as well.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
There is a book titled "Tips on auto body woodwork" by Don Marsh which covers a lot of woodwork including manufacturing tips .It appears on ebay every now and then, not there at the moment . but here is a link to a previous item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171270831298

JACK
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The Fisher book is the only book I have. If you buy your replacement wood from Jim and study the book it begins to make since. The problem with my 32 was the last restoration was very poor and the wood that was installed was not correct. To bad there is not a supplier of the nails. I found a Ford site that supplied some but they are larger than the ones Chevy used.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I had bought a Fastener Kit for my '34 Master from Auto Hardware Specialties . It had a list of instructions on the order and fashion of assembling the wood with it. While their kits start with 1933, it might be something to look into. I might even try to find those instructions and either scan/email them to you or copy/post them

Best Regards, Pat
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have been working on my 31 sedan and when it took mine apart i kinda blue printed all the measurements.My car was almost complete.So when I put my top bows I built the front and rear first,then the side rails,then all the bows.But looking at mine right now don't see any problems if your metal is off the wood.buy the way I used old backpacks and cut them up I felt just like what was in the car?you can pm me and I will fax you the paper I drew up I might help

Wake up to learn something new everyday.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
A copy of those instructions would be great. One of the difficulties I am having is installing the screws in the brackets at the base of the frame. The body sheet metal is in the way

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
In areas that are not accessible to install screws it may be necessary to weld in tee nuts and install the screws from the outside. That is a tip I got from an instruction manual written by Don Marsh. There is also a specialty tool that can be used to install a threaded insert if in an area that you do not want to weld in.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Now know this is hand drawn so give me a number and I will send it to you.I'll see if I can post it,not very good at that.pic;s are allways to big?

Wake up to learn something new everyday.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by jack39rdstr
There is a book titled "Tips on auto body woodwork" by Don Marsh which covers a lot of woodwork including manufacturing tips .It appears on ebay every now and then, not there at the moment . but here is a link to a previous item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171270831298

=====================================================

I bought that book and as far as I am concerned its a waste of money !!! I have no idea what I have done with the book and where it is. The fisher body book is much better.

mike.................. Agrin

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by vintageone
A copy of those instructions would be great. One of the difficulties I am having is installing the screws in the brackets at the base of the frame. The body sheet metal is in the way

You have to understand how the car was assembled.........they build the wood frame and then nail and screw the sheet metal to the wood.

mike Agrin

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by m006840
In areas that are not accessible to install screws it may be necessary to weld in tee nuts and install the screws from the outside. That is a tip I got from an instruction manual written by Don Marsh. There is also a specialty tool that can be used to install a threaded insert if in an area that you do not want to weld in.

Originally the Tee nuts installed in the wood had nails in 4 places to stop them spinning. The new style Tee nuts have 4 angled teeth and are driven into the wood from below, but unless you have the wood out you cannot install these.

If you cannot get to some screws because the sheet metal is in the way , your other choice would be to use long bolts right thru the wood and thru the steel car frame with a lock nut and washers top and bottom.

You do not want to be welding nutserts in with vintage wood right there, that's asking for trouble and is totally unnecessary.

mike................. Agrin

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
In the booklet I referenced the example was a 32 door. All wood was removed and the photo looks to be of the lower part. I agree somewhat about welding where there is vintage wood, but shielding the wood and using a mig should be pretty quick and safe. The tee nuts only need to be tacked in place. The ideal would be to use a nutsert which goes in same as a rivet and is crimped in place. That tool however is not something the average hobbyist will have. The front roof bow in my car was replaced and both sides of the roof were opened to access the screws and then welded back together. It can be done but does require some caution and careful prep. A helper with a fire extinguisher standing by isn't a bad idea either.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The "Tips On Auto Body Woodwork" booklet is as the title suggest-tips. It is not an A-Z instruction manual, but does have "tips" for fabricating some wood parts. I agree the Fisher Body Manual is a must have, but don't think there is any way to compare the two.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
This book also covers wood body repair and replacement.
Automotive Woodworking , by Roland Johnson.

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Automotive_Woodworking.html?id=UbEizYruK5wC

JACK

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.